Would you pay $22k-$28k for a Cat?

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We spend about $1000 a year (per cat) for food and routine vet bills, and our cats tend to live about 16 years, so if you add on pet sitters and unexpected vet bills and meds, we pay about $17,000 a cat.

I would never be able to buy a purebred; there are far too many perfectly wonderful kitties at the shelter for $100.

meowcow

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with most everyone else on this thread in that I would much rather adopt a stray kitty than pay a ridiculous amount of money for a purebred cat that's probably gonna have health problems its whole life (I've had bad experiences with purebred dogs - they're sweet, but all died very very young.) There are already so many animals who need homes, it seems a little silly to me to go to a breeder to find a pet.

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The money is irrelevant. I wouldn't buy an Ashera because they seem to be a "breed" genetically engineered in a lab and marketed as a product by someone who sees selling them as a business opportunity.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

No i wouldn't. If i had that kind of money though- i would donate every penny of it to the shelter where i work to invest in an even better environment/conditions for all of our animals and to expand the shelter. The more room we have -the more animals we can take in and help and the more lives that are saved. Right now we are trying to raise money for new dog beds for all of the dog kennels so that everyone has a nice warm bed for the winter- i would also LOVE to expand the kitty cages into full condos so that they have lots and lots of room! Also the more money the shelter gets- the more spay/neuter surgeries we can do and once again- that saves lives! I would love to spend some of that on education too - the more people learn about responsible pet ownership- the more everyone benifits! It would also be great to be able to have a room JUST for puppies/ kittens and pregnant/nursing mommys so that they are kept away from the other animals that come in and out and are not exposed to certain illnesses/etc while they're soo young. If i had that kind of money- that's what i would love to do with it!
I'm on the same page Nikki. Right now, we're struggling to not kill the homeless kitties. There is a mom & 4 babies who will die soon because we have no space & no time to socialize them. Why the
would I spend that kind of money on a "cat"!?!

katz4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Those type of cats are good looking but we just couldn't spend that kind of money when there are so many other beautiful cats who need loving homes.
That amount of money could help out an animal shelter!

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definately not! That kind of money could be going to a shelter and helping alot more animals instead.

krazy kat2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No way! If I ever had that kind of money to purchase a purebred, along with the money to care for them properly and everything that goes along with it, I would go straight to Meridian Cattery and ask them to allow me to adopt one of their lovely retirees. I don't have the energy for a kitten that energetic. The rest of the money would go to rescues.