Would you own a black cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

poppy09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
aww how could you not want a kitten, he's adorable!

I'd have a black cat too, in fact one of Poppys kittens is half black and white and we're keeping her (and not because of her colour, I'd keep them all if we could!).

Superstitions are silly. It's sad to think people are so superstitios the shelters have to many black kitties to rehome!

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I live in Germany (a Catholic area) where we have great difficulty finding homes for black cats. In the UK, black cats are not only beautiful but often featured on Good Luck cards and tokens. Funnily enough, there is another school of thought in the same area whereby black cats are unlucky.

Here, they are usually considered to bring bad luck. It will be a red-letter day when I find new homes for all 5 black feral kittens I have tamed and am now fostering. Fortunately, there are some local people who can appreciate the fascinating and handsome features of a black cat. 

By the way I own 2! One was by choice and the other just never found an owner.
Shelters in England are full of black cats because of stupid people but as far as I knew the same is for black dogs. Mad. I'd love one of each. I nice black kitty and a black labrador. Oh well, I can dream can't I.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Obviously I definitely would adopt a black cat! :lol3::lol3::lol3: They seem to have more trouble finding homes than cats of other colors, but I don't believe it's just a matter of superstition. They're harder to photograph and to distinguish from other (black) cats. Some people tend to like cats with very distinctive markings.

On the other hand, you get people coming into the shelter looking specifically for a black cat because they know it takes them longer to find homes.

vespasian70

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I actually just adopted a brother and sister bonded pair because the male is black. Hershey is all black with no white hair at all and his sister Snickers is a beautiful calico. Hershey is huge! He looks like a mini panther stalking the house.

I've always wanted another black cat after having one as a child. I think the folklore and mythology surrounding them is quite fascinating and adds to their allure. I never knew about the unpopularity of the coat colour until I began my search for one last month.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadly, in some areas, especially in big cities, adoption of black cats, and dogs, is not allowed during the month of October for fear that they are may be used for...well, let's say, nefarious purposes at odds with the animals' continued life and happiness.  What a sad thing that is. 

I've had black cats, and the only dog I ever really bonded with was black, right down to her tongue.  Her mama was a grand champion chow, and her daddy was a sweet-talking traveling man who could climb fences in the dark.  She was my soulmate and constant companion for 14 beautiful years, and no dog since has measured up to her in intelligence and personality.  I've loved other dogs, but never like that one. 

Cats, now, I've given my heart to so many over the long years.  No matter what their color, I just sort of get pulled right into their cattish ways. 

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of my cats is black and he is wonderful. I really hate racism and discrimination agaonst animals.

Black cats are least likely to be adopted and most likely to be abused. Some research has shown that they are not adopted as much because if a black cat huddles into the back of a shelter cage, he/she tends to blend in and is not easily seen. Som shelters have made the cages of black cats brightly colored, such as putting bright-colored coroplast in the cahe so visitors can see the kitty and it raised adoption rates!

macha 143

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We should appreciates all cats, love them all no matter what color! So sad that some people so mean about black cat.

My friend owns a black cat, he called him Chaplain,  he is very affectionate and sweet cat.

Last edited:

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What a cutie! I am surprised..but glad..they kept him.for that long. Most don't. :(

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sadly, in some areas, especially in big cities, adoption of black cats, and dogs, is not allowed during the month of October for fear that they are may be used for...well, let's say, nefarious purposes at odds with the animals' continued life and happiness.  What a sad thing that is. 

I've had black cats, and the only dog I ever really bonded with was black, right down to her tongue.  Her mama was a grand champion chow, and her daddy was a sweet-talking traveling man who could climb fences in the dark.  She was my soulmate and constant companion for 14 beautiful years, and no dog since has measured up to her in intelligence and personality.  I've loved other dogs, but never like that one. 

Cats, now, I've given my heart to so many over the long years.  No matter what their color, I just sort of get pulled right into their cattish ways. 
That makes me sad to know.  In August I rescued a little black kitten and took him to the Humane Society.  I do hope they don't adopt him out to the wrong person!  

kittycort

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im glad you saved the kitty. I recommend looking into other rescues and shelters to surrender them too though besides the Humane Society. It is a very dark place.

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Of course, I would.  I wonder if superstitions differ according to country cos over here black cats are good luck, not bad.

roobear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I'm sorry, I have to tell you this just made me cry.

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I've had 4 wonderful black cats in my life, including Paul who currently blesses my home. I have always made a point of having at least one black cat at all times - they are so beautiful. All of mine have been real characters, too - a joy to be with. Here is Paul

molly22

Country girl living the life with my furry friends
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry but people are morons who won't adopt based on superstitions. This is not the Middle Ages! I've read somewhere that black cats were thrown in the fire back in the day but spared if they had white markings. They say that's why it's hard to find a full blown all black kitty. Here's my newest black kitty with white armpits!