Would you get a male or female?

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

People told me males are nicer then females but there can never be a male nicer then Coco.
Maybe it's in the name. My Coco is an absolute sweetie with tons of personality!

(But I agree with you about males, in my experience they are more likely to be trouble.)

mrphil

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd recommend a male. It has worked in the past for you and in my experience males are more social (as long as they are neutered as soon as possible.)

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mschauer

(But I agree with you about males, in my experience they are more likely to be trouble.)
also in my experience

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with the posters who tell to go with the personality rather than nether region. I am all sold on males myself at the moment. A lot of my friends have had multi-girl households very succesfully and I used to have all girls myself, so I am not biased, I just think personally I don't want to break this pattern right now!

I was very nervous getting a third cat because I did not want to ruin the home for the existing two. I made sure I sat a long time with the next candidate at the shelter. I picked one who had a history of being with other cats, had all kinds of good 'ticks' on his evaluation sheet for personality and generally appeared mellow. I thought I owed it to the previously rescued cats at home - even though I felt somewhat bad being so picky with all those poor kitties there needing a home. I even asked the shelter worker to bring a totally unknown male cat (that's what I had home) on the other side of the cage while I was in with him, to see if he'd show signs of tension/aggression. I would say poor kitty because this was already a stressful situation with stranger (I), a lot of other kitties/adopters and hassle around him but he was cool with it.

I have been very happy even though I worried. We integrated a third adult male without too many hick-ups in a week. Somebody left a little pee next to litter box and food cup the first day, and that was all inappropriate marking behaviour that came out (and it was from resident fellow).

lovemykitty3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I had 2 males that I got as kittens and they got along great. They were both neutered but we still did have a spraying problem when they were younger. We couldn't figure out if it was one or both of them doing it. Once they were 5 or 6, that stopped. As far as personality, there were both very friendly. The male kitty I have now is also very friendly. I think it depends on the cat. When you go to pick out a cat, see which ones come up to you and want attention.