Would you do this at the vets?

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No I would never do that. In fact I would never pick up a strange cat period, until I knew the cat was somewhat comfortable around me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by frankthetank

WOW! I would never ever take another persons animal out of their carrier! I rarely even pet a persons dog in the pet store without asking them if it is okay.
Yesterday we had a family friend over for the day. Her husband is a truck driver and was passing through town so he stopped at our house also. We always warn people about our certain kitties....some of them LOVE people and others are skittish. Our cat Punky is not a fan of being picked up and held. He likes to cuddle next to people to be petted but not actually held. The husband was told this, and he picked Punky up anyway. Tried to pet him as Punk was pushing his paws against the guy and trying to push himself out of his arms. The man kept patting his head and talking softly to him, as if he could calm Punky by speaking softly to him. We kept telling him to be careful bc if Punk got mad he would scratch him to get away...and sure enough after about 3 minutes of being held, Punky was mad and howled and scratched his arms to jump down....The man looked at his arm like he was surprised the cat scratched him!! I think that people don't think sometimes about how a cat might feel?
Yeah I don't know why people will go over to the pet, they were just told doesn't like to be bothered, and bother it anyway, then act shocked when the animal attacks them. Either they think their being funny when they do it, or they want to prove the owner wrong, or they think the animal might really respond good to them.

noisette

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, I can't say I'd take a cat out of a carrier.... at least she ment well, but your right it could have ended badly. she's very fortunate that Midnight didn't claw her into kibble.

Meeko probably would have. he has to walk out of the carrier on his own terms. any hand that enters is his new favorite scratching post.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Noisette

No, I can't say I'd take a cat out of a carrier.... at least she ment well, but your right it could have ended badly. she's very fortunate that Midnight didn't claw her into kibble.

Meeko probably would have. he has to walk out of the carrier on his own terms. any hand that enters is his new favorite scratching post.
If he has to walk out of his carrier on his own, you must have interesting vet visits!
Lynxx
we had to pull out at the vets. Midnight we have to really pull out, because he'll hang on to his blankets even with soft paws on! Luna comes right out and doesn't mind the vet.

bellaandme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not a very good idea if you ask me!! She probably just didn't think before she did it though. That's a good way to get bitten or scratched, isn't it. I'm always so protective of any cat I've taken to the vet and hug the carrier in my lap. My body language eells people to leave me alone

piikki

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This was a good thread to read. I always expect anything from kids but even kids at vets' clinics have always asked for permission to look and pet my cats. Now I am reminded that you better always remember that as a pet owner you are responsible for the safety of your furbabies, and you should always expect the unexpected - even from little old ladies

Gee, I would never go groping other people's pets without asking - even though it can be so tempting. But some people just aren't thinking straight and it's good to remember because I sure would have been taken by surprise in this situation too!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bellaandme

I'm always so protective of any cat I've taken to the vet and hug the carrier in my lap. My body language eells people to leave me alone
That's a good idea. I'm going to start doing that from now on.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by piikki

This was a good thread to read. I always expect anything from kids but even kids at vets' clinics have always asked for permission to look and pet my cats. Now I am reminded that you better always remember that as a pet owner you are responsible for the safety of your furbabies, and you should always expect the unexpected - even from little old ladies

Gee, I would never go groping other people's pets without asking - even though it can be so tempting. But some people just aren't thinking straight and it's good to remember because I sure would have been taken by surprise in this situation too!
Yes now I'll always be more suspicious of people when they take to much of an interest in my cats at the vet or anywhere else (not that they go anywhere else).