Would you camp out for free food?

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
A Chik-fil-A opened this morning near me. I guess the first 100 customers get a free meal every week for a year. There were tents and people lined up for the past 24 hours. While the weather was nice yesterday, it's still February in Massachusetts. :dk:

A meal is a sandwich, fries and a drink. I just can't ever see myself camping out for something like this. :dk:

Would you?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
No. Especially not at a fast-food restaurant. But I asked  a co-worker and he said he'd do it in a heart beat. Go figure.

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't do that for the same deal at a five star restaurant, much less Chik-fil-A!  But if one's finances are shaky I can see having to do what you have to do.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let's say a meal is $10. If you get 52 meals (haha, I know I'd forget to redeem at least a few!) that would be $520. So that's not bad, worth a little inconvenience. Personally I wouldn't camp out in the winter for $500 but for someone who has more time than money, why not?

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
Surely feeding 100 homeless people would be more moral.  I'd camp out in order to donate my meals to a homeless person.  I wouldn't for myself.  

I did camp out on Princes St in Edinburgh for one marvellous, magical night though, waiting for the release of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' from the bookshop  
   But that was for the fun of it 

muffy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Surely feeding 100 homeless people would be more moral.  I'd camp out in order to donate my meals to a homeless person.  I wouldn't for myself.  

I did camp out on Princes St in Edinburgh for one marvellous, magical night though, waiting for the release of 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix' from the bookshop  

It does seem that they would get more publicity by giving the food to homeless people than they would by giving it to people just out for themselves. You are a nice person, Brian. I'm glad you had fun on your camp out. 

raysmyheart

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can understand that many people with kids may want to, if they are struggling with bills or anyone struggling that it would be a good way to go out once a week.   I know a lot of people that struggle for food where I work.  Myself, I am struggling greatly.   if you were to see me, you would not think I struggle, but because of this, I can really see that it might be something very welcome to someone.    If I had children, I might do it.  I'm sure there are other reasons people camp out, the thrill, etc. but this is just my spin on it.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
@Muffy  Thank you.  It just seems obvious to me.  And, yes, they would probably get more positive publicity. 

Many people in the UK have become more reliant on free food banks in the last coupe of years (publicly donated food either bought specially, bought extras by mistake, or spare food lurking in the back of cupboards).  These are not necessarily unemployed homeless people, just people normal, working families struggling to pay their way.  It must take a great swallowing of one's pride to need to use them.

Skip rummaging is illegal in the UK, which is absurd.  All the supermarkets throw out masses of produce, mostly still well within before best before dates.  I think it incredibly mean and selfish to pay for security guards around the supermarket food skips to prevent hungry people "recycling" perfectly good unwanted food.  In my world, this food would be offered to those that needed it, as standard.

Shamefully, the only food I donate is the cat food that Dudley turns his nose up at.  I eat everything else, haha!

Last edited:

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise

I didn't camp out, but I was in line at midnight in town at the bookstore, waiting for the same Harry Potter book. And enjoyed every minute of it. There were people dressed up as their favorite characters and all kinds of munchies were served at the store. It was a great time. Rick was in Virginia at the time, so I ran into town by myself around 11:30 or so and joined the L-O-N-G line. We had a blast. Got back home around 1:00 and finished the book around 6:00 that morning. And then I crashed.