Would you call the cops?

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would, and have called the cops on my neighbors for this very thing.
When they are just being loud, I go over and ask them to tone things down, they are nice kids, and don't often realise they are disturbing people.
But when they are fighting, I listen for cues, raised voices and slamming doors is the norm (they are a young couple 23-ish, newlyweds).
I expect some fights and yelling.
But when things don't settle down or get worse after a few minutes, I do indeed call the cops.

luckygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

Unless you know 100% that it is an absolute emergency in which a life is in danger, please do not call 911. The lines often stay tied up with calls like that and other ones that are not necessarily dire emergencies and can prevent people per say (gunshot wounds, heart attacks things of that nature) from getting through in a timely manner. I say this because Colin is a cop. I asked him what he thought about that and he said that if it is concerning you - please call the non-emergency police number
They will go out to the residence and file a report/take information and check on the situation just as they would with a 911 call- the only difference is you will be calling a different number so it will not tie up the 911 line
That way you get the problem with your neighbors addressed in a timely fashion and the people who desperately need to get through on a 911 call can also
Nikki, and that makes the most sense, but I've had problems here in the city, where say a homeless man, who is crazy will come into our building and start rambling on about nothing.... now, I am alone in the lobby, we have no security during the daytime....I have called the police station, to ask them to have an officer come out, and remove the homeless man from our building....and the officer who answered the phone at the station said I had to call 911. I couldn't believe it, I thought 911 was reserved for needing an ambulance, or an emergency. But in Philly, they will not dispatch an officer without a call into the 911 call center. Crazy huh?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuckyGirl

Nikki, and that makes the most sense, but I've had problems here in the city, where say a homeless man, who is crazy will come into our building and start rambling on about nothing.... now, I am alone in the lobby, we have no security during the daytime....I have called the police station, to ask them to have an officer come out, and remove the homeless man from our building....and the officer who answered the phone at the station said I had to call 911. I couldn't believe it, I thought 911 was reserved for needing an ambulance, or an emergency. But in Philly, they will not dispatch an officer without a call into the 911 call center. Crazy huh?
OMG this drives me insane. When I was working at the bank a few days after a robbery an unmarked car was sitting in our lot. The FBI and our district cops told us to call the district if we see anything odd like this. So I did and the idiot told me to call 911. I just don't get Philly stations.

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
absolutely call the police. that's what they are for. we called on our neighbors in our last apartment for similar reasons. i knew our neighbor was disabled and we could hear her boyfriend abusing her, then he locked her out. so we called the police. they had another fight like that about a week later, so we called again. i think they got the hint after that, because we didn't have too many problems like that again.

editted to add: i knew she was ok after all that--she always sat outside her door in a chair and talked to us when we were leaving or coming home. i think she broke up with him and that was when the fights stopped but i'm not sure.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would definately call the police. Any type of verbal "fight" can escalate into somthing. At least if the cops show up at their door they will know it is now being taken seriously. It's nuts that you should have to put up with these people going ape on one another you have to live in that building too.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is one of the reasons I do not live in an apt. anymore. No matter if I lived on the first floor or second, I could always hear what was going on. Since this has been going on for awhile, I would call the cops, make sure they keep your name out of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She might be evicted before I get the police involved. She received her 2nd warning yesterday. She totally denied it all.