Would you buy a new one or try to be eco-conscious and refill?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Finally! Someone else who realized that stuff is terrible. I don't like having to throw a bunch of stuff out like that. And as I've jokingly ask my DH, how the heck would you even swiffer up cat litter?
Good old broom, mop, rags, and a dust mop that can be washed are used here.
We use a broom, a mop (that I wash in hot water and bleach after every time I use it), and rags also. I tried using the swiffer things for a short while, but I had to use 3 or 4 of them just to mop all of our hard floors b/c they would dry out and it seemed like such a waste...of product AND time.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Yeah, and it just keeps getting worse. All those swiffer products, (and the knock offs)

One of the houses I clean at insists I use swiffer products to clean her house. I fill a garbage bag once a week with throw away duster cloths, toilet wand refills and floor cleaning pads. I tried to get her to let me use rags, but she didn't want to wash them. I said I would wash them, but no, she wants her house swiffered.
I hated those swiffer thingies. I tried mopping the floor with one and it did a horrible job. My hubby just uses a rag mop (he cleans since he is home all day and I work full time) He will also get down with a sponge for the tough spots.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

c1atsite

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Simple and cheap fix - buy some thin dried spaghetti noodles (I prefer cappelini), light it with any type of match/flame
Originally Posted by pushylady

I had to open the bag of fetticine noodles for this experiment, so that answers the question of what I'm cooking for dinner tonight.

Thanks Yosemite. I will try it. LOL Pushylady

Originally Posted by Kai Bengals

How about just using the long wooden kitchen matches? The left over wood bio-degrades easily.
Another idea. Thank you. This is why I love you guys.
:

Originally Posted by valanhb

Candle warmers work like a charm too - the heat the scented wax from the bottom up, so you don't waste that last bit of candle because you can't reach it or the wick is gone.

http://www.candlewarmers.com/Products.aspx?cat=30

I know I've seen cheap ones at Michael's for between $5-10.

As for the lighter, it depends on if it is made to be refillable or not. You can't refill it if it isn't made to accept it, and unless it's a pretty nice one.
Oh nice link Valanhb. I've never heard of a wax melt until I visited the link!

Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just a quick suggest to the candle addicts on here. Look up what is actually in candles. When you burn them that stuff goes into the air, you breathe it in, it gets on all the items/walls of your home, it clogs up your filters in your ac/heat. It is not good to be breathing this stuff in regularly, it's probably comparable to second hand smoke.
with my hands over my ears La La La I can't hear what you're saying
There's actually an internet "candle war" being waged as we speak. It's the soy candle people versus the regular candle people. Has anyone come across it? It makes me chuckle & roll my eyeballs
because both are protecting their own $$interests$$. One side will claim xyz and then the other says abcd. It's never-ending. SWings, fyi, I'm not saying you're part of the candle war. Your comment simply reminded me of it.

Originally Posted by Catkiki

He will also get down with a sponge for the tough spots.
Good man
I myself am a fan of microfiber cloths. And you're right - All that Swiffer nonsense is nonsense. Notice they're constantly advertising? Incessant advertising is a red flag that a product or service stinks. That's what someone told me and I kind of agree.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

SWings, fyi, I'm not saying you're part of the candle war. Your comment simply reminded me of it.
I wasn't aware of it. I know that my FIL, who does heating and air work, always talks about how the homes that have a lot of candles burnt in them will have their filters and ducts full of candle residue. I also know that I can't really be around burning candles, especially scented ones, as they make me cough a lot. (doctor is suggesting possible asthma so far..
). DH who does have asthma can't be around them. Neither of us have noticed one type of candle making us less sick than another type does.

And a very basic fact. Whenever you burn a candle, that candle doesn't cease to be. It changes forms - heat, light, smell, smoke, etc. It has to go somewhere.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by c1atsite

Isn't it easier to just buy a new one?
I've never refilled one before
I have a couple of refillable lighters that I use when I cook BBQ and for lighting the fireplace. They are like little torches and are the only thing that will light a charcoal BBQ in the wind! They are very easy to refill - you just turn the lighter upside down and "plug in" the little butane tank, it takes a few seconds. The butane is super cheap, too, and I've found the lighters work anywhere from 2-6 refills, then the flint or whatever starts it, wears out. The Costco ones are in a 4-pack and were about $15. Work great!

p.s. Too bad your lighter broke.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank heavens other people out there dont like Swiffer either. My mom got me a Swiffer Wet Jet for Mothers day one year and I used it once and junked it. I went out to the dollar store and bough a 5 dollar mop and broom and still have them 2 yrs later. I am guilty of using paper towels for dusting and stuff because I have a lot of glass that I clean and rags just dont work as well as paper towels do on glass. Its probably not much better but we burn all our garbage here and recycle the cans and glass that we have I store them all under the sink and when it fills up I take it all back to the garage for the scrap trip we make about 2 times a yr.