Would you bother returning it?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'd call them, talk to the manager (get the manager's name), explain the situation, and ask if you can return it at your convenience. I think most places would accommodate you, especially with gas prices, or in your case, having to walk back to return it.

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband is the manager of a grocery store; if someone brought back an item that had bugs (or any foreign substance in it) the rest of those items would be pulled from the shelf and either thrown out or sent back to their warehouse (depending on the item and the problem).
I think the store needs to be made aware that there's a problem and you definitely have to alert the manager, not a casher.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with everyone and at least call them to inform them of the situation.
Ewwwww.

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely return it and put it in a ziploc bag. I have never had any trouble returning something to a food store. I usually just explain to the checker that I am returning something because it was defective in some way.
Trader Joe's has a motto that you can return something if you don't like it. I have done that. No problem.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
marie-p;2115540 said:
It's the second time in a week that I almost cook live bugs. I don't even want to think about how many times I might have not caught it in time.
I remember watching a holiday cooking show last month and the celebrity guest told of a time she made grits for a big extended family brunch. Shortly before serving it someone noticed it was full of little bugs. She added several handfuls of cracked black pepper and served it anyway. She got a laugh from the southern women in the audience and a grimace from everyone else.

pipersjo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I say it depends how hungry you are. Bugs are a good source of protein afterall and may even be tasty. How do you know until you try 'em?

Seriously, I think I would call them and tell them that there are bugs in it and see what they want you to do with them.

Then you can eat them