Would you be offended?

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by SwampWitch

You are all welcome in my home!

I've been to a few strip clubs (in my youth out of curiosity
) and am reminded about some of the places those bills go.

Thankfully, most people take their shoes off when they come in our house and I don't ever say anything. But eyebrows always go up if you ask someone to wash his or her hands.
& some people carry money in their shoes, bras, etc.
i wouldn't be offended, either, if asked for the reason you posted.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It wouldn't bother me. I think at first I might wonder why, but if you just said something as simple as 'we need to watch the different germs that come in the house' it would suffice. It would be just what you do when we would go to your house, like taking of shoes. My step-mother growing up always made us wash our hands when we came in from playing or going somewhere. I'm pretty sure my step-brothers washed their hands first thing after school too.

stacyd1987

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't mind, especially with the cold season going on.

By the way, one of the dirtiest and most common thing in the world is paper money! Think about it, you can't exactly wash them and they pass through thousands of hands.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not be offended. My Husband is in remission from Leukemia. Whe he was in the Hospital 2 years ago he was in Isolation and you had to wear gloves and a mask before you could even go in the room.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nope, I would not be offended in the least -- particularly so if the request was prefaced with a brief comment about the compromised immune system. That would make it a no-brainer. And I'd be glad to use whatever was offered. I usually have a bottle of hand sanitizer not far away, in case of need when there's not soap and water available.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

My step-mother growing up always made us wash our hands when we came in from playing or going somewhere. I'm pretty sure my step-brothers washed their hands first thing after school too.
That's the first thing I do after I take off my coat! If I go out to check my mail, when I come back to my apartment I always wash my hands. It's just good hygeine!

novemberflowers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be offended at all.

Maybe spreading the word before the get-together that someone has a compromised immune system and that everyone needs to wash their hands when they come over will save you from having to explain it as they are walking in the door - when they come, just greet them and say something like 'I'll show you to the sink'... And maybe having a couple hand sanitizers around wouldn't hurt (your close friends and family members could use it by example) if it would help if people were killing germs throughout their time there.

But just giving all the info when they walk in wouldn't be wrong at all either.

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I feel that asking someone to wash his or her hands is like saying "your hands are dirty!" Even my MIL has held up her palms to me and says, "Oh, they are clean."
Spit on her hands and then say "Now they're dirty!"
Really...just kidding.

can you let everyone know a head of time? I.e. just mention, I know it may sound strange, but there is a person with a weak immune system in our house so would you mind washing your hands when you get here?
then either place hand sanitizer by the door or immediately direct them to the bathroom..as a polite reminder.

peachytoday

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be offended at all. I actually wash my hands quite alot for many reasons. My brother has a compromised immune system and what would be a simple cold for me is much more dangerous for him. He has been in the hospital several times lately. So I would have no problem at all.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
If someone has a health problem then no one should get offended, they should be understanding in my opinion.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Nope, I would not be offended in the least -- particularly so if the request was prefaced with a brief comment about the compromised immune system. That would make it a no-brainer. And I'd be glad to use whatever was offered. I usually have a bottle of hand sanitizer not far away, in case of need when there's not soap and water available.
Same here, but then I grew up with a relative nearby who had a compromised immune system.

although I know people who would get offended. We get people to wash their hands after handling sick cats at the shelter so it doesn't spread and the number of people who just stick their hands under the water for a second and then wipe them off on their pants makes me

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be truthful. If someone can't handle that and is offended, it's their problem.

Were it me, I would go so far as to tell anyone that if they thought they were coming down with a cold to not come over and for anyone else that lived with them to stay home too.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by novemberflowers

...Maybe spreading the word before the get-together...
I think that would be a great idea... nobody should be offended in the first place, but by explaining it beforehand, you get a chance to educate those few who may not know enough about biology to catch on right away.

Hand sanitizers are better than nothing, but a really good handwashing with hospital soap is so much more effective. And less painful, too! If your hands are the least bit chapped, those sanitizers hurt!

But y'know, I'm not sure handwashing is enough. I think most people would understand if you just hosed 'em down on the driveway before you let 'em in... and it sure would liven up the party!

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Would it offend you if you went to someone's house for dinner or a small party and you were asked to wash your hands when you came in because someone who lives in the house has a compromised immune system?

Would it be more polite to be offered some sanitizing gel when you walked in?

Is there any way this could be requested without being offensive?
my question would why are they even asking people over,
since most things are going to be in the air anyway.
If that bad, they should not ask people over.

i would not be offened, but i dont think i would go.

clairebear

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be offended at all. Just be sure to ask in a polite manner, and if they don't know about the person with the immune system problem, explain the situation. I really don't think most people would mind.

kaete

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would definitely not be offended at all. My best friend's mother (who was like my second mother) had a very long battle with cancer that compromised her immune system, and I scrubbed like a surgeon every time I went into that house.

Just explain the situation, and add "it's nothing personal; we all carry germs!" or something if the person acts offended.

Especially this time of year!

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StacyD1987

I wouldn't mind, especially with the cold season going on.

By the way, one of the dirtiest and most common thing in the world is paper money! Think about it, you can't exactly wash them and they pass through thousands of hands.
I wash paper money weekly - in my laundry. Hubby is always leaving some in his jeans.

Seriously back to the question - I cannot imagine any caring person would be offended over such a request. It's really a safety issue in my mind and I'd be happy to comply with such a simple request.