Would you adopt a kitten with a facial deformity?

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I just picked up a 3-month old kitten from the pound today and when I got her home I noticed that she has a deformed lower jaw and lip. Her lower gum line is too wide so her bottom teeth sits quite high and her bottom lip is too small for her to fully close her mouth. You can't tell when you just see her and she's absolutely beautiful. However, it is noticable when you pick her up. You can basically see her gums below her bottom teeth and because she can't fully close her mouth she drools a bit when she's been drinking.

She's a really pretty white girl with calico spots and she is super sweet. There isn't a shy bone in this kitten's body. She'd make a great pet for someone. But, to be honest, I'm worried that people will not be willing to adopt her because of her deformity. So, I'm curious, if you were looking to adopt a kitten would you consider one with a minor facial defect or would that be a deal breaker?

maggieq87

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I personally love special, unique cats.  I'd be more inclined to adopt one with a deformity. The one you're describing seems minor, completely benign and merely cosmetic.  I can't imagine it'd prevent a sweet cat from being adopted!  Are you fostering?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Absolutely!

And you know what? I have had the same worries in the past, several times. I have had cats with 3 legs, one eye missing, bent tails, and one young boy who had a similar issue with a deformed jaw, but his was quite obvious, PLUS he was shy on top of that. I have had cerabellar hypoplasia cats, felv positive cats, and a blind 10 yr old cat, and people adopt them so fast I am always amazed and very impressed :)

She will go just fine, thanks for being so kind to rescue her.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I tend to gravitate to the kitties with deformities or just aren't cute.  My next adoption which I hope is well in the future yet will be adults because I am 57 now.  I will be at the point where my outliving the kitties or being able to continue to live where I can have cats will be a concern.  I have already decided that I want to specifically look for a black or tuxedo kitty because they are the least likely to be adopted.  A black kitty with a deformity or just not attractive would be just what I would be looking for that is if the kitty agrees.

The only concern that I would have would be kitties with issues that could lead to large vet bills, which I don't think this is.  Of course that is something that can happen with any kitty.

fhicat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At our shelter, kitties that are "abnormal" tend to get picked up really quickly. For me, if a kitty adopts me, any "deformity" would not bother me at all - unless they require special care that I am not able to give.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes I would adopt a cat with a facial deformity.  Those cats need a loving home also just as any cat does.  I would be more hesitant to adopt a cat with a serious illness because I would be afraid to lose it so soon.  You know the old saying: " Beauty is in the heart of the beholder." 

sk_pacer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Louie has no bottom lip, although his was caused by kitten hitting road. I took him, fed him Cat Milk, kitten dry food and watered down tinned food. You cannot see the damage left unless you turn him upside down. He drools all the time, and has problems with pate style foods but is almost 14 and happy with his lot in life

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat with an overbite (sounds like what you describe) and I don't know if I'd consider it a deformity exactly. He does drool a bit and his top fangs are chipped because he hits them on things, but otherwise he gets by perfectly normally. I don't think it'll make much difference in her adoption prospects.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ziggy'smom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not an overbite. Her upper jaw is fine. It's the bottom one that is the problem. She's still a beautiful girl and super sweet but I fear that some may see the deformity as off putting. I hope not and that people are as open minded as you guys. Unfortunately I think inability to find a home for her because of the deformity is why she was turned in to the pound. She's not a stray. Someone has clearly cared for her and she came in alone.

Here are a few pics of her (she looks like a deer in headlights in almost every pic I take of her :-). You can see the mouth issue in a few of the pics:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's a beauty! I believe that we are more than just the shells that hold us together.  The exterior fades and changes, the inside remains the same. 

That being said, I would absolutely adopt a special needs kitty. They need love and cuddles just as much as any other kitty does.  I would also adopt a senior kitty, in fact I have in the past. The vet's office has a senior kitty for adoption, and she's gorgeous. I would take her in a heart beat if I didn't already have 3 in a 2 bedroom apartment. Financially I can care for 4, but physically I struggle with 3.

laralove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's adorable! I wouldn't have a problem adopting a kitty with a minor deformity. I don't know about more severe deformities. I hadn't really thought about it. I think I wouldn't really care so long as there wouldn't be associated vet bills, since I'm on such a tight budget. If I had more money, I'd probably seek out special needs kitties, as I know not everyone has the means to care for them (like me, now). 

As an aside, Grumpy Cat is so known because of a facial deformity, proving that they can be not only meter-bustingly cute, but also fame-worthy and profitable.*

*Outcome not typical.

flamingo1981

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
yes I love cats that have a lil kink that gives them character its adorable  Your cat is adorable I cant see a person thinking shes off putting. Like If someone did not like her cause shes not perfect they would not be a person id want around.

Most of my cats have had some form of deformity.

Last edited:

my-boy-jasper

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would have no problem with it. Like others have said, I might be more inclined towards a kitty with a deformity especially if it was a sweety. I think I go for the underdog usually. My last three cats have not been the typical idea of the 'perfect' cat, all very shy or neurotic. The only things that would deter me are a cat with high medical costs or an aggressive nature. I know a family who adopted their cat with three legs so definitely people adopt cats with physical imperfections. She is adorable anyway.

raintyger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, she's cute. I don't think her jaw problem will be an obstacle unless it causes other large medical issues.

My husband's sister adopted an ugly cat once - kinked tail, body parts that looked mismatched, and farts that stank miles away to top it off. She said he felt that one needed a home the most. There's plenty of people who go for the underdog.

cprcheetah

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is adorable.  I have a cat who has Cerebral Hypoplasia.  It took the adoption place a year to find a home for her sister who had the same condition.  I adopted my baby girl when she was 6 weeks old.  Although we didn't find out what exactly was wrong with her till she was about 9 months old, I just knew she walked funny.  She is now 7 years old and the sweetie of my life.  I would definitely consider adopting a kitty with a defect.

asherdash

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes I absolutely would. I have contemplated taking in a special needs kitty later on in life when I can devote all my attention properly.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would adopt a cat with a minor deformity. Sweetie got into something before he was rescued and two of his canine teeth were damaged, one on top and one on the bottom. Shortly after I adopted him I had these teeth pulled which gives his mouth a slightly misshapen look, I don't consider this type of thing a problem.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, and in your case, your little cutie has a really special look that would probably go viral on the internet, if you had the right marketing campaign 
Bless you for rescuing her - mega vibes & prayers that she finds her forever-family very soon.
  and maybe we will be seeing her on the "Net