Would like kitchen redecorating advice, please

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
We're planning to re-do out 1976 kitchen soon. The cabinets are in great structural shape, and frankly, seem better-made than the ones I see in Home Depot & Lowe's. Originally, they were dark wood; I had painted them, unsuccessfully, white, and used brass hinges and knobs. (I didn't prep the surface right, which is why it was not too great-looking; but I like the light color.) I had planned to get them re-faced; but DH says he likes white; so do I. I found this lovely blog, and like the way she glazed her cabinets (if you look further in her post, you can see before and after pics, too):

http://acottageindustry.typepad.com/...hat/index.html
(You have to scroll down to see the kitchen pics--tried to copy & paste; can't.)

I really like the black & white toile with the antiqued white cabinets, and the way she used cheap corbels from TJ Maxx on the penninsula!

I probably won't paint the kitchen mint green (it's tan), but may do a light sage-green; not sure. I plan to get a new countertop, maybe a tan granite-type Formica (I originally wanted granite, but the cats get up on there, etc., so I don't think it's practical). I plan to put beige tile on the floor, and some sort of neutral tile backsplash (we have none).

My problem is that my appliances are stark white white; I'm afraid the cabinets will look dirty next to them (the range and the dishwasher, especially). But, I just can't find any wood finishes I like (or can afford, if I do like!). I like the brightness of the light cabinets I already have--it really brightens up a room, which only has a tiny window. Also, I'm afraid the wood will clash with the wood laminate flooring in the surrounding rooms, which can be seen from the kitchen (even though it's an enclosed, eat-in kitchen, the foyer hallway, the dining floor, and the family room floor butt up to the kitchen floor in 3 directions; and I'm not changing those floors, as they are new).

Any advice??? Thanks!!!!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just redid my 1972 kitchen last year. For the countertop, you might want to check out engineered quartz. It's molded to size out of quartz chips that are "glued" together with a microbacterial gel. It doesn't need to be sealed and cleans very easily. There are a few manufacturers that make it and I used Chambria - liked their colors better than others. It's about the same price as granite and IMO, much more durable and a lot less work.

I think the antique white glaze would look fine with white appliances. You can never match white exactly, and frankly, it would look too boring if you tried to do that. As long as you are using color on your countertops, floor and walls that compliment each other, you are probably fine.

For wood tones, nearly every piece of wood in our house is painted. We had cabinets made out of ash and stained them a medium reddish oak tone. When we replaced the baseboard wood with pine, we took a sample of that wood to a (good) paint store where they matched the stain to match the cabinets so they weren't too off. Stain looks different on different woods. We'll use that stain as we continue to replace the wood throughout the house. We're eventually going to get bamboo flooring in the dining room/living room which will be a very different color than the kitchen cabinets, but we'll tie it together with the baseboard trim.

I personally think that too much "matchy-matchy" is no longer in style. Eclectic touches look good together (IMO).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I just redid my 1972 kitchen last year. For the countertop, you might want to check out engineered quartz. It's molded to size out of quartz chips that are "glued" together with a microbacterial gel. It doesn't need to be sealed and cleans very easily. There are a few manufacturers that make it and I used Chambria - liked their colors better than others. It's about the same price as granite and IMO, much more durable and a lot less work.

I think the antique white glaze would look fine with white appliances. You can never match white exactly, and frankly, it would look too boring if you tried to do that. As long as you are using color on your countertops, floor and walls that compliment each other, you are probably fine.

For wood tones, nearly every piece of wood in our house is painted. We had cabinets made out of ash and stained them a medium reddish oak tone. When we replaced the baseboard wood with pine, we took a sample of that wood to a (good) paint store where they matched the stain to match the cabinets so they weren't too off. Stain looks different on different woods. We'll use that stain as we continue to replace the wood throughout the house. We're eventually going to get bamboo flooring in the dining room/living room which will be a very different color than the kitchen cabinets, but we'll tie it together with the baseboard trim.

I personally think that too much "matchy-matchy" is no longer in style. Eclectic touches look good together (IMO).
Hi Momofmany,

Is what you used like Silestone? I also had considered that; I love the look, but am concerned about the cats and possible scratching. As much as I try to keep the guys off the counters, I have to be realistic, and accept that they get up there a lot (or at least, Marge does). I'm so afraid that the glossy surface on the engineered quartz will get claw marks/scratches on it. I've never actually seen my cats scratch on the counters, but they do get up there. Because of the cats, I also like to be able to disinfect the counters, sometimes even with a bleach solution--could I still use that?

I'm not into the overly-matched look, either--just tasteful coordination.

Thanks for your input!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

Hi Momofmany,

Is what you used like Silestone? I also had considered that; I love the look, but am concerned about the cats and possible scratching. As much as I try to keep the guys off the counters, I have to be realistic, and accept that they get up there a lot (or at least, Marge does). I'm so afraid that the glossy surface on the engineered quartz will get claw marks/scratches on it. I've never actually seen my cats scratch on the counters, but they do get up there. Because of the cats, I also like to be able to disinfect the counters, sometimes even with a bleach solution--could I still use that?

I'm not into the overly-matched look, either--just tasteful coordination.

Thanks for your input!
Silestone is another brand of engineered quartz. My counter was installed about 9 months ago and there is no scratches or dings. I have a step up bar counter which is affectionately called "the cat walk". My cats are up there almost constantly and haven't messed it at all.

The guy who installed it suggested using Mean Green for the cleaner. I haven't tried bleach so not sure about that. Unlike granite, silestone is non-porous so bacteria doesn't penetrate the surface. I love it.

Here's the thread I opened when my remodel was finished. You can see the countertop in there:
http://thecatsite.com/forums/showthr...hlight=remodel

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we redid our 1977 era kitchen we used both Corian and formica countertops. They are completely different looking too.
As for the wood-we have Cherry cabinets-a medium stain and vintage maple flooring (we reclaimed from a one room schoolhouse. They do not match but look very well together.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Well, I went to Home Depot last night, and we've pretty much decided on what to do. I even looked into do-it-yourself cabinet refacing; with the new doors, and drawer fronts, it wil still be almost as much as new cabinets! We've decided that we really prefer the white of some shade; and a Silestone counter. We're going to sand and prime the existing cabinets; buy unfinished wood doors (but cheaper than what the refacing place sells them for--some were $100 EACH,and I have 19 cabinet doors to buy), add some new moulding, and enamel the whole thing white gloss, and get new hardware, and have the new countertop installed. I liked Momofmany's countertop, but sadly, the 12 months, no interest deal at HD really swayed my decision! The color, for now, is African Red--which really is not red at all, but a medium brown, with black and tan flecks. Even though the new cabinets look nice, I still think my old ones are better made; or,at least better than the ones in my price range (most cabinets aren't made of solid wood anymore, unless you buy very high end ones). As we're happy with the original layout, and don't have the floorplan to change very much, I think we're better off keeping the old ones. We have a rather large kitchen, but it's cut into by 3 doorways, so we're really limited, unless we scrap the idea of a table, and install an island/penninsula/another bank of cabinets. Then, we'll get rid of the ceiling fan, and install a chandelier.

And a new floor. Wow. I can hardly wait to do another floor. Nothing like getting down on all fours, cursing and grumbling because the room is out of line (it is--I did one 2 years ago), and slicing my fingers with the X-Acto knife.

Thanks, everyone, for your advice, etc.!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I looked at Silestone and I think I remember what African Red is. That will look very nice!

Remember to take lots of before, during and after pictures, as we will all want to see it as you make progress.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Back to square 1!

1. Thought I found a seller of unfinished wood doors on ebay. Emailed for a quote over 2 weeks ago; no reply.

2. Decided, with doors, and other stuff, total cost of painting=$600-1000. Refacing=even more, even DIY.

3. Found ready-to-assemble all wood cabinets on eBay (if we can do home improvements, we can handle this tedious job!). Emailed a customer; said they were GREAT quality, etc. He's very pleased.

It's a maple finish. About $1500 + about $200 shipping. Home Depot=cheapest cabinets, lousy quality: at least $2300, + $1600 for installation.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=150199031094

I plan to use a Silestone countertop, African Red:

http://www.silestoneusa.com/colors/c...fm?ColorID=381

Oh, did I mention that today, DH decided we need a new kitchen ceiling??? It's bowing, and has patching from a leaky toilet (about 3 years ago!). Oh, joy.

I may try the antiqued white finish on an old dresser and a worktable in my "new" sewing room! I decided that DH & I need separate sewing rooms. I was tired of moving his huge exercise bike, so I could get to my side of the room. He's also bought an X-Box, and it's driving me nuts when I'm working in there (he only does WWII battles on it). I decided he could take the smaller guest room; I'd move that furninture into the old sewing room, and share it with my sewing stuff. It's working very nicely. (And the cats have taken over his room--something new and exciting for them.)

I'm doing it in French country-style. I bought some pretty red/cream/beige toile to make window valances. I'm painting the old dresser ($5 yard sale find. The creepy thing: it looks identical to the one in the crime scene pics in the DeFeo, Amityville Horror attic!). I'll paint the hardware flat black (like cast iron), and the curtain rods (saves me at least $30). I hope to find a double headboard, very cheaply, and paint it either cream or the black. It has a beige comforter already. Also, I'll install a new ceiling light, and get rid of the fan (I hate ceiling fans, and hate cleaning them even more).

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Corian, Corian, Corian! Nothing better than this for countertops and even the sink. It comes in nice colors now. You cannot put a hot pot on top of it but that it is an easy problem to solve. Also easy to clean, gorgeous to the eye.

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My goodness your kitchen will start to look like mine!! Our kitchen is sage green with a marble look formica! The cabinets are almost a very deep (almost reddish) pine look with brushed steel handles - the cupboards over the sideboard all have glass panels and we have the classic checkerboard floor. I LOVE our kitchen, I'm loathe to paint it white for when we put the apartment back on the market.