Would It Harmfull To Trap And Hold A New Feral Cat Over The Weekend.

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
a new feral cat showed up at my feeding station a few days ago. not ear tipped.
would it be too stressful to trap and hold till Monday for Vet apt?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would think it would not be a good idea. It's a long time to go without food and also there's no room in a trap for a litter box. You could place food inside the trap, but most likely the cat will not eat it. Transferring to a larger cage/carrier is just too dangerous and you risk the cat getting out. I personally do not like to keep them in the trap for long. I had two feral cats not come back after being trapped. Both were trapped the night before. I personally prefer to trap the morning of the vet appointment if that is possible.

jpatootie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I would think it would not be a good idea. It's a long time to go without food and also there's no room in a trap for a litter box. You could place food inside the trap, but most likely the cat will not eat it. Transferring to a larger cage/carrier is just too dangerous and you risk the cat getting out. I personally do not like to keep them in the trap for long. I had two feral cats not come back after being trapped. Both were trapped the night before. I personally prefer to trap the morning of the vet appointment if that is possible.
Totally agree with shadowrescue. The dark of night before the vet visit is the longest I would keep a kitty trapped, and please get up before sunrise to cover the trap with something like a towel or blanket that will black out as much as possible, but allow air flow from the bottom of the trap. This should lessen the trauma and comfort the kitty. They take comfort in the dark.

Good luck.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the others if you mean trapping it and leaving it in the trap until Monday. That's too long. If you were planning to put it in a bathroom for those days with food/water/litter, it would probably be all right but you may then have one heck of a time getting it into a cat carrier on Monday without risking injury to yourself.