Would it be fine to put this on cats spay incision in order to cover it?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't, unless instructed by the vet. If you need something to cover it to prevent licking, and don't want to go with a cone, they do make surgical gowns, or even human baby onesies can work. This is the only I got at the vet last time I had a cat spayed. VetMedWear Gown | E-Collar Alternative for Cats, Dogs, and Rabbits There is a US version of the site too, as well as other companies sell them including several on Amazon.

Here is my little girl, Misty, with it on.
VideoCapture_20230106-145246.jpg MistygownPic.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Even in the dog world where it is very popularly used, it is never put directly next to the skin, but over some kind of gauze. I have also seen various brands not be colorfast. Those little ribs on the inside can be irritating and it is not exactly impossible for an animal to remove after a few minutes of chewing. I agree that it should not go over the incision and that you should consider a onesie, even if you devise one of your own.

Just saw your pic of the incision in the other thread and I definitely don't think that this tape is a good idea. It will irritate the skin.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Even in the dog world where it is very popularly used, it is never put directly next to the skin, but over some kind of gauze. I have also seen various brands not be colorfast. Those little ribs on the inside can be irritating and it is not exactly impossible for an animal to remove after a few minutes of chewing. I agree that it should not go over the incision and that you should consider a onesie, even if you devise one of your own.

Just saw your pic of the incision in the other thread and I definitely don't think that this tape is a good idea. It will irritate the skin.
Im trying to make a human onsie work, she just cant exist in the cone im not even sure if its her size to begin with. The vet gave it to her saying its her size.

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Cones can be difficult for many animals, so it is not just you or just your cat. A onesie would be much better, even a baby T shirt that you alter might work.
My mother tried making some onsies but none of them works, hope she doesnt get the cone off and doesnt break herself in it. I wish i didnt had to go to school so i could watch her all day.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FWIW, I haven't had to use a cone on a spay kitten or cat, ever. I've had zero complications. Unless she's aggressively licking her incision, try going without to see if she leaves it alone.

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
FWIW, I haven't had to use a cone on a spay kitten or cat, ever. I've had zero complications. Unless she's aggressively licking her incision, try going without to see if she leaves it alone.
She didnt leave it alone and the vet said it has pus on it since she was licking it, i was basically called stupid by the vet for not having the cone on her. After surgery i put it on her and she literally jumped to the wall while still dizzy. Currently she is eating and drinking in the cone for the first time, but i have to go soon and im not sure how she will do all day.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Do you have a man's tube sock? You can use the elastic top part, just cut the foot off. Slip it over her head and front paws and place it around her belly covering the incision.

Kazuhacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a man's tube sock? You can use the elastic top part, just cut the foot off. Slip it over her head and front paws and place it around her belly covering the incision.
I got a stocking for that now but wont it get wet? Can she chew/lick trough it?