Would Getting Another Kitty Possibly Help With My Cats Behavioral Problems?

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!

I'm about to lose my mind about my cat. He's a male, neutered, and about 2 years old. He has pica as I've posted about in previous threads. No matter how much I cat proof my place he still seems to find things to eat..whether its ripping up carpet and eating it or just finding random things somehow. He is very hyperactive and always has so much energy. I've tried sooo many things. I've gotten him endless toys, scratching pads and posts, a cat tree, ect. I've tried playing with him for hours and he still has a lot of energy!! My mom is insisting I get him declawed cause she believes that will help calm him down and obviously I'm completely against that and won't do that no matter what! But I do need a solution because I haven't gotten a full night sleep in so long and I'm exhausted.

I'm not really sure what else to do..would getting another cat be good for him? That way he would have someone to play with to wear him out when I'm not at home?

I've also been thinking about taking him on walks..does anyone have any experience with this?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
We’ll see what others say, but I think that getting another cat would help him. That way he could always have someone to play with! If you do decide to get him a playmate, I’d recommend getting a kitten, because typically it’s easier to introduce a kitten to an adult cat than with two adult cats.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I would agree with abyeb. My pica kitty Saipha is so much better after a few things changed. One, I moved apartments so she could get full access to the whole apartment instead of just my bedroom. Two, I adopted Mishka, a kitten. Part of Saipha's pica was boredom, and both the move and having a kitten to play with helped. I still occasionally have to replace shoelaces and pillowcases, but she's no longer eating something inedible every day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

erikaash27

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We’ll see what others say, but I think that getting another cat would help him. That way he could always have someone to play with! If you do decide to get him a playmate, I’d recommend getting a kitten, because typically it’s easier to introduce a kitten to an adult cat than with two adult cats.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
I would agree with abyeb. My pica kitty Saipha is so much better after a few things changed. One, I moved apartments so she could get full access to the whole apartment instead of just my bedroom. Two, I adopted Mishka, a kitten. Part of Saipha's pica was boredom, and both the move and having a kitten to play with helped. I still occasionally have to replace shoelaces and pillowcases, but she's no longer eating something inedible every day.
Thanks for your opinions!! I think this is definitely something I may want to do. I'm just a little worried because he has had some interactions with other cats in the past, one of them was a kitten, and they did not go well. He was SO afraid of the kitten. It was probably just improper introductions though, so I'm hoping that with an appropriate introduction that it could work out.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for your opinions!! I think this is definitely something I may want to do. I'm just a little worried because he has had some interactions with other cats in the past, one of them was a kitten, and they did not go well. He was SO afraid of the kitten. It was probably just improper introductions though, so I'm hoping that with an appropriate introduction that it could work out.
Cats are territorial by nature, so quick introductions often don’t go well with them. The TCS article I linked to I’ve found is one of the best in-depth explanations of the introduction process. :)