worrisome skiddish

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Chester (or "Cheddar" as we call him) has been here for going on three weeks. He is an adoptee from the local humane society. The day we adopted him he was so incredibly social and tactile. But the very second we got home, he ran off, which I understand can be a normal reaction to the stress. However, since that day, I have gone to great lengths to make sure he starts to feel safe, welcome, and not stressed.

He has two litter boxes, large/nice ones, scooped twice daily, he has a lot of toys, I set up a kitty tower for him (which he uses, two of them actually), got him scratching posts and encouraged him to use them (he does). He gets a treat every night. Fed at the same time. Fresh food and water. I've even got two Feliway diffusers going for about the last week.

But Cheddar is getting more and more skiddish with each passing day. It's to a point now, where just entering the room and sitting down, he tears out from his hiding spot and shoots like a bullet into the basement (his place). It's a nice, carpeted area set up really just for him.

I just sat on my couch, which he should be getting used to by now, and he tore up from behind it, across an end table, knocked stuff all over, and ran (as if for his life) into the basement. It's getting to a point where he seems locked in some sort of pattern of skiddishness. I haven't attempted to pick him up in the three weeks he's been here because he is so standoffish. He would also rather not be approached, he comes to you when he wants to be petted. But for some reason, he always acts like you are "out to get him" anytime you move.

Any ideas? It seems borderline neurotic.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are like this and high strung and easily set off.  My Paige is like this.  She scares easily and when she gets scared, she can be a little dangerous with those claws.  So I try to stay out of her way.  It is part of her personality. 

Do you know much about his background?  Was he possibly abused?  How old is he?  3 weeks is not a long time.  It may seem like it but it can often take a couple of months for a cat to feel comfortable and settled.  Cats as a rule do not like change.  Some adjust easier than others and others fight adjusting with all they have. 

Try talking to him but not looking at him.  Talk in a soft and happy tone.  That way he can get used to your voice and tones.  It may seem silly but it will help a lot.  Don't push him.  But maybe sit down on the floor, at his level and offer him treats. 

Has he been checked by the vet yet?  It is recommended that anytime you adopt or buy from a breeder, you take the pet to your vet within 72hours.  But I would contact the place you rescued him from and just ask what they know about his background.  Try not to complain or seem standoffish.  That'll get you no where. 

Other than that, be patient.  Talk to him even if you feel silly.  Try offering him treats and just let him adjust at his own pace. 

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know it sounds cruel, but it may be that he needs to be kept in a small room for a while, so he has to interact with you.  Allowing him the whole house, and a basement in addition, may be just giving him too much space for him to "find" you and bond with you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He has been to the vet. He received a clean bill of health, but got a series of boosters. I do sit and talk to him each day and he seems to like it. He gives the "squinty eyes of approval" and seems to like my voice. There are times that he comes right up to me and wants to be petted. I don't push him or follow him around. In fact, I leave him be for the most part and announce myself when I enter to change his litter or bring food. He comes out to watch.

He really does have the sweetest disposition. As we speak, he is in his "cat tree" in the living room watching me type thing and grooming himself. But I know the second I get up to fill my coffee, he is going to TEAR OUT and head into the basement.

It may be best that I simply don't acknowledge this behavior so as not to feed the nervous or negative energy.

I'm sure he just needs time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catfella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think he is just taking his time adjusting. At 5am this morning, he hopped up on my lap and begged me to pet him and I couldn't make him get down if I wanted to. :)

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is he an only cat or do you have other cats?  I would recommend a Feliway or Comfort Zone with Feliway diffuser to help his stress level. 

We adopted a kitty late last January.  When we met her she was a very loving girl.  She still runs when I walk down the hallway.  For about the first 6 months we had her, every time I would try to pet her while she slept, she'd either nip me or startle so severely it would disrupt her sleeping.  She was constantly "on guard" because of her past as a stray on the streets.  Now, she will wake up when I pet her, but she doesn't startle and she continues napping.  She also doesn't nip me.  Sometimes, it's just about time and gaining trust.