Worried!

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About 3 weeks ago, I started feeding a mother cat and her three kittens who have made a home in my neighborhor's backyard as well as my own in the hopes of trapping, spay/neuter. The kittens are around 6 weeks. They tend to stay in my backyard all day playing around. Today, I only saw the mother come for breakfast and dinner. I thought the kittens would join her, but they have not been around all day. I have spoken with my neighbor and they have not seen the kittens either, just the mother. Is this normal behavior?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Is this normal behavior?
It could be considered normal, sometimes the mother cat will move the kittens if she becomes concerned for their safety due to something that bothered her.

Can you tell, does her tummy look like they're nursing? Keep an eye out for that over the next couple of days.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There could be several reasons for this- perhaps the mother thought it was time for them to go out on their own, or to move them to a different/safer environment, they could be hiding, or, as much as it pains me to say it, predators. I would continue to put food out.
I know my cat would sometimes find a vent with a broken screen that led to under the house and 'vanish' for a while- maybe try looking around the house for a broken vent? Keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!

It could be considered normal, sometimes the mother cat will move the kittens if she becomes concerned for their safety due to something that bothered her.

Can you tell, does her tummy look like they're nursing? Keep an eye out for that over the next couple of days.
Thank you for the reply! Her tummy does look like she is still nursing, but the kittens have been eating solid food consistently in the morning and evening for more than two weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat4ever

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There could be several reasons for this- perhaps the mother thought it was time for them to go out on their own, or to move them to a different/safer environment, they could be hiding, or, as much as it pains me to say it, predators. I would continue to put food out.
I know my cat would sometimes find a vent with a broken screen that led to under the house and 'vanish' for a while- maybe try looking around the house for a broken vent? Keep us posted!
Thank you!