Worried - tried everything but our middle age female cat refuses to exercise and eat less

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We love our female cat so much are are becoming increasingly worried about her weight, obsession with food, and lack of exercise.

She is roughly 9 years old and weighs 6.3kg

Our vet plus a friend who is a vet say just feed her a tablespoon of dry food per day in a 'tough love' approach

She loves her food, though, and if we don't give in to her demands, she scoots on the carpet, scratches furniture and so on

But otherwise, she is an extremely well behaved cat

She loves wet food in pouches, which we know isn't the most nutritious, potentially bad for teeth, etc.

We've tried her on 'pure meat' premium food, or just dry food, but she pines for the wet pouches

We don't want to be too hard on her, making her unhappy, but at the same time we realise she would be unhappy if she developed a condition like diabetes

We've tried all kinds of toys, food timers, balls with food inside (she's too clever and worked out how to stand on one spot and get crunchies out), going in the garden to encourage her, laser pens, climbing toys - everything.

She has a quiet garden but just doesn't want to go out, only venturing out three times a day for 5-10 minutes each.

We very rarely see other cats in the garden, and our neighbours are all quiet, out during the daytime, but our cat just stays in.

My wife works from home and she just sits next to my wife all day.

We love her a lot and just don't know what to do any more.

Anyone else been in or is still in a similar situation, and any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
I'm confused, are you talking about pouch food that is intended to be used only as treats, or in other words it is not nutritionally complete?

Otherwise, wet food is typically considered better for cats, including being better for their teeth because of the moisture content as opposed to kibble.

When she scoots on the carpet, is she leaving behind streaks of poop? Cats don't scoot their behinds on the carpet unless their bottoms are itchy from worms or poop that is sticking to the fur, or diarrhea/soft poop.

So, you're right in that providing such a small amount of food is not the right approach to get a cat to lose weight, if this is even necessary in your case. Overweight cats need to lose weight very slowly, but most cats who become obese do so because their diet is primarily, or only, dry food, so I'm not ready to assume she's overweight.

Body Condition Scores | VCA Animal Hospital

If you can provide a photo of her, from above her when she's standing or walking that would help.
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post – TheCatSite Articles

Also, if she's food motivated, gently start her on an exercise regimen where you hold the plate/pouch and have her follow you. Initially just a couple times around the kitchen, then further by having her follow you into other rooms etc.

Can you find a cat-only vet?
Directory

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't know how much you are currently feeding her calorically, but aside from that, the best you can do is just reduce her food by a very, very tiny amount and continue a gradual reduction over a long period of time - absolutely NO more than 5-10% reduction for at least 1-2 weeks before reducing again. This allows her system - and her mind - to adapt more easily. This can take months, but a gradual approach is best for her in many ways. No cat should lose weight fast - no different than humans in terms of health/mental impacts. Your vet and vet friend are wrong in terms of a tough love approach, and I am so sorry to hear than either of them would think that is appropriate.

You should, however, calculate the amount of food she currently eats so you know how much she is eating calorie-wise a day, for a starting point. The basic guideline is that most cats will maintain their weight on 20-25 calories per pound of weight. So, theoretically, a 14-pound (6.35 kg) cat could use somewhere between 280 and 350 calories a day to maintain that weight. Of course, this is nothing than a simple guideline to use, as all cats are different based on age, activity level, and metabolism. Also, when trying to get a cat to lose weight, the ideal goal is NO more than 1 pound per month - a little less than that is even better.

You also need to log her daily caloric intake and invest in a pet/baby scale to weigh her once every two weeks to begin with. Later as you continue this journey, you might want to consider weighing her once a week.

I think that trying to get a cat to play that is not interested in playing is a futile endeavor. But I also think that once your cat loses some weight, you might find her interest level in playing could improve on its own. One effort at a time is enough, start a calorie reduction plan, and worry about instituting an exercise plan later.

I agree with a lot of what Furballsmom Furballsmom said/asked too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry for any confusion. Daily, She typically eats one sachet/pouch (the kind you get in multipacks of meat or fish flavour from Felix and other brands) of wet food, and a couple of tablespoons of Royal Canin Satiety kibble which the vet said ideally should be her ONLY food intake each day.

My aunt feeds her cat (also black and white like ours, but male) even more than ours, but he goes out a lot to compensate.

Getting her to follow us for food is a good idea - thank you.

I will post some photos soon.

The vet says she should be 4.5kg, not 6.3ish, but maybe she's just a large cat, like some people are larger than others? We lost our last cats to cancer and tumours so want to keep her as healthy and happy for as long as we can.

She's a rescue cat who was on the streets for a while so perhaps she is paranoid still about when her next meal will come, despite having lived with us for 5 years so far.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have the same problem with one of my cats. She is 5 kg and has been gradually putting on weight for the last couple of years. She is inactive so needs less food. I started a daily diary of the times and calories she eats and try to get her to play a little each day. She was 5.08kg in November and now is 4.91kg, slow but going in the right direction. Are you able to record her calories daily and slowly reduce them. I would also feed wet food only, it fills them up more than dry. Try to distract her when she wants food. Would she take to harness training so you could walk her.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
obsession with food
You're right, some cats have that drive for food because it was so difficult to obtain when they were in the street and it can take a long time for them to relax.

Can you see the kcals on one of those packets? I tried looking it up, and all I could find for Felix is the feeding suggestion which is four sachets for a moderately active cat, so even considering she's currently inactive, according to that you're already practically underfeeding her.

and weighs 6.3kg
Are you weighing her at home? If not, if you have a bathroom scale, as has been suggested start weighing her regularly and keep track of it. Step on the scale, note your weight, then step on the scale while holding her, not that weight and the difference between the two is her weight.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She will only eat whatever amount you feed her. When I had a chonky kitty, I had to learn that I was the problem, not her, since I was the one with opposable thumbs feeding her. With my vet, we worked to transition her to a mostly wet (canned or pouch) food diet and scheduled feedings. She ate wet food twice a day, morning and evening. Then at lunch, I would feed her a SMALL amount of dry kibble. Also, before bedtime, she got another small serving of kibble. If she went to her food dish or pestered me for food when it wasn't feeding time, I would distract her with play. If she continued to act hungry, I told her it wasn't time to eat and that it was okay. It was so hard for me to see her fall asleep by her food dish or look pitiful because I wasn't feeding her, but she gradually lost the weight and was so much better for it.

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have the same problem with one of my cats. She is 5 kg and has been gradually putting on weight for the last couple of years. She is inactive so needs less food. I started a daily diary of the times and calories she eats and try to get her to play a little each day. She was 5.08kg in November and now is 4.91kg, slow but going in the right direction. Are you able to record her calories daily and slowly reduce them. I would also feed wet food only, it fills them up more than dry. Try to distract her when she wants food. Would she take to harness training so you could walk her.
Well done! I’m not having much luck with Daisy so far. She hasn’t lost any weight in the weeks I’ve been trying to get her on a wet food diet. Some days she’ll want wet food but she never finishes a sachet, not even the little 50g ones, and she doesn’t like coming back to them later. Plus the sachets don‘t have any calorie information. I know she’s supposed to be on 200 calories a day per vet consult but cannot find that information anywhere, and I’m worried I’ll underfeed her.

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When she scoots on the carpet, is she leaving behind streaks of poop? Cats don't scoot their behinds on the carpet unless their bottoms are itchy from worms or poop that is sticking to the fur, or diarrhea/soft poop.
Directory
Sorry, I forgot to answer this question of yours. She doesn't leave streaks and seems to just enjoy scooting as a bad habit. our vet has examined her twice, emptied her anal glands once, and says she is worm free, so it must just be an ingrained behaviour.

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for sharing your situation and well done for slowly reducing your cat's weight - that's great!

I'm not sure about harness training, but your suggestion to distract her when she begs for food is a good one. I just hate to think she's miserable, but we give her LOTS of attention, so it's not like she's comfort eating out of loneliness.

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will only eat whatever amount you feed her. When I had a chonky kitty, I had to learn that I was the problem, not her, since I was the one with opposable thumbs feeding her. With my vet, we worked to transition her to a mostly wet (canned or pouch) food diet and scheduled feedings. She ate wet food twice a day, morning and evening. Then at lunch, I would feed her a SMALL amount of dry kibble. Also, before bedtime, she got another small serving of kibble. If she went to her food dish or pestered me for food when it wasn't feeding time, I would distract her with play. If she continued to act hungry, I told her it wasn't time to eat and that it was okay. It was so hard for me to see her fall asleep by her food dish or look pitiful because I wasn't feeding her, but she gradually lost the weight and was so much better for it.
That's probably why our vet and vet-friend recommend the tough love approach, as she only eats what we're willing to feed her.

Like others, you also mention distraction, so we will definitely try to do this more.

We're the same - we hate seeing her looking pitiful, but I guess cats are good at playing on humans' emotions.

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well done! I’m not having much luck with Daisy so far. She hasn’t lost any weight in the weeks I’ve been trying to get her on a wet food diet. Some days she’ll want wet food but she never finishes a sachet, not even the little 50g ones, and she doesn’t like coming back to them later. Plus the sachets don‘t have any calorie information. I know she’s supposed to be on 200 calories a day per vet consult but cannot find that information anywhere, and I’m worried I’ll underfeed her.
Sorry to hear that you're finding it a challenge with Daisy.

It's so frustrating that most people we speak to tell us our cat should only eat dry food as it's better for teeth, nutrition, weight management, etc, but everyone on this site says wet food is best. It's confusing to know what's best.

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ah, found it - at the bottom it says 77kcal / 100g (per pouch)

catloverfromwayback

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to hear that you're finding it a challenge with Daisy.

It's so frustrating that most people we speak to tell us our cat should only eat dry food as it's better for teeth, nutrition, weight management, etc, but everyone on this site says wet food is best. It's confusing to know what's best.
Ain’t that the truth!
At least here it’s also acknowledged that you can’t force a cat to eat what it doesn’t want and “tough love” on this matter is not going to achieve anything except damaging your cat’s health.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Lol you found it the same time I did;

Daily feeding instructions:
Pouch Only: 3kg 2, 4kg 2 1/2, 5kg 3 1/2
Pouch + Dry Food: 3kg 1 1/2 + 15 g, 4kg 2 + 15g, 5kg 2 + 25g
We recommend to feed a mix of WHISKAS® wet and dry food.
Feeding instructions: Allow a transition phase and adjust amounts according to your pet's needs, for overweight cats reduce daily amount. For more information on feeding your cat, please contact our Consumer Careline. Fresh water should always be available. Serve at room temperature, surplus food can be refrigerated for up to 2 days.

77kcal / 100g

So, 1 pouch plus a couple tablespoons of dry food is not a lot of food calories. I personally would, as you mentioned, try the increased exercise rather then decreased food :) and see how she does after a while, both in her interest in doing things and how her body condition is .

I posted a link for finding cat only fear free veterinarians but you are overseas so maybe you can do some research there.

It's confusing to know what's best.
There is more and more research that has determined not only are cats obligate carnivores meaning they must eat meat, but the way their digestive systems function they get most of the moisture they require from what they eat, and are not motivated to drink water. This is why members here, and Whiskas, are advising that a mostly wet food diet is often better.

Last edited:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I fed mine half a can each of Fancy Feast plus 1/8 cup of Acana kibble morning and evening. That works out to 180 calories/day. I also gave them another 1/8 cup of kibble each before bed. That's another 55 calories. Two hundred and thirty-five calories is too much now. It was fine when they were active kittens but I've had to cut back. I stopped the 1/8 cup kibble at suppertime and just give them a sprinkle on top of their canned food. I still give the 1/8 cup before bed. That should keep them around the 200 calories that they are supposed to have. They can pack on the weight very quickly.

With Ash having his surgery, he couldn't get any exercise and Lulu didn't have him to run around and play with. Now Lulu is waiting for surgery as well, so I really have to watch their calories intake.

It doesn't sound like your cat is getting too much to eat. I didn't realize just how important that exercise was. Made a big difference with mine over the past couple of months. Anything you can do to get her moving will help.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The amount to feed per day should be stated on the box, if I remember correctly its 3/4 pouches a day so It doesnt sound as if you are over feeding. Two tricks to try, give half a pouch at a time and with the dry food throw a piece at a time across the floor and make her run for it, try to make it into a game for her. If she will eat it this way then she will be getting exercise.

Last edited:

MillsParents

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much to you all for your new replies. We appreciate it.

I don't know where there is this obsession here in the UK and Europe with vets recommending dry food only diets.

And when it comes to wet food, companies like Animoda and Feringa, available on the website ZooPlus, say that Whiskas and Felix are the McDonald's equivalent. But I guess they would say that, to sell their pure meat wet foods for cats.

This morning, she struggled getting through her cat flap door, but it's raining hard so the plastic and her fur are wet, and she has to climb up two wet bricks and then kind of reach up and over to get her body into the door, so her struggle wasn't just because of her weight.

Our vet described her as obese, but O always fear in the back of my mind that her noticeable body curves are cancer. Our first cat was also called fat, but the fat turned out to be cancer. We get our current cat checked twice each year though.

Here are some photos.

Thanks again.
20230109_061511.jpg
20230109_061511.jpg
20230109_061238.jpg
20230109_061233.jpg
20230109_061141.jpg
20230109_061141.jpg
20230109_061511.jpg
20230109_061238.jpg
20230109_061233.jpg
20230109_061141.jpg