Worried mother of 2month old kitten.

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vaccines are one of those controversial areas in the cat world. Like with human babies, there are some who believe it is best to vaccinate against everything, and others who feel less is more and that there can be negative side effects to giving too many vaccinations. I would urge you to do your own research, and find out what is best for you and your girl. There have been lots of threads on the subject on TCS, and you can look through some of them here http://www.thecatsite.com/newsearch?search=vaccines , as well as do your own research online. But, to break down what you have already had done:

FVRCP

The FVRCP is the standard kitten vaccine and is usually given as a series of three shots four weeks or so apart (this can vary by vet and some do smaller doses more frequently). Hands down, almost everyone gives their kittens the FVRCP series.  The debate comes in on whether they continue to re-give it every few years, or if the original booster is sufficient to last a lifetime. 

Deworming

Once again, almost every deworms. Almost all kittens have some sort or worm or parasite and this can save you from significant health problems later. Most Dewormers are given twice several weeks apart, especially if the kitten has been outside or in a shelter environment. 

The leukemia vaccine

In general, this is only given to cats who are considered to be 'high risk.' (I.e. those that spend the majority of their time outside and near feral colonies). While I don't personally know of any risks of giving the vaccine preventatively there is one downfall- and I cannot stress this enough: Because the vaccine introduces live antibodies, your girl will always test positive as having the leukemia virus. It doesn't mean she has it, and she likely doesn't, but her bloodwork will be positive.

So, on your end, you have to ensure that she is currently microchipped, is collared and tagged, and that you have a copy of her vaccination records on you at all times. No exceptions ever! I don't know if she is an indoor only or will be allowed outdoors, but if she is picked up by anyone as possibly being a stray she will be almost automatically put down by testing positive unless they can easily get ahold of you. If you move around a lot set her microchip to your vet's office so she can be returned there. Do everything in your power to keep her easily identifiable just in case it ever happens. The chances may be slim to none but they are chances so err on the side of caution! 

Misc. 

The next two big medical things you need to tackle are 1) her rabies vaccine, and 2) having her spayed (if she isn't already). Do your research on whether the rabies vaccine is required in your area. If it is make sure you stay current. If it's not, weigh the pros and cons of giving it to her. 

The one thing that should never be optional is having her spayed, and it's by far the best gift you can give to her. Females can go into heat as early as 4 months so make sure you do it sooner rather than later, and keep her indoors until then. If you want more infer on spaying I would be happy to provide lots of links and resources! 

If you are wondering, I do keep my residents current on the FVRCP (because I foster and there is always a risk of bringing in outside illnesses) as well as the rabies vaccine (as required by law in my area). However, I have foregone all other vaccines because both my cats are strictly indoor-only. Yes, there is always a chance they can sneak out, but there aren't a lot of strays in my area and the risk of contracting FIV/FeLV is low. I also choose to give all vaccines in the legs versus the back of the neck. There are some studies that have shown vaccines can cause cancer and if thats the case its far easier to remove a leg than try and clean it out of the spine. Most vets are willing to do this just ask! 

I hope that sets some groundwork for you and answers some of your questions. Keep asking as more arise!