Worried and conscience in mind :(

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and apology for the long read,

Brief background, when I was still a young kid, our family used to own a cat. We are a family of loving animals. We owned dogs, cats, fish, bird etc. Although I am more of a dog person I was not really not attached with our cats so I really did not learn more of them.

Some 40 years later, we moved here in the United States. Owned an American Akita for 13 years and passed away 2 years ago. Sometime, in the 3rd or 4th week of March, just after my dog’s (Kizu) 2nd death anniversary, a feral cat wondered around our backyard. I placed a can of sardines outside and the next day, it was empty. So, I placed pieces of chicken at the same time I saw her. The following day, when I was to check the food, as soon as I went outside, I heard her calling, as if, asking for more food. So, I opened another can of sardines and immediately, she ran towards it. Right there, I knew she was friendly. She allowed me to pet her while she was eating. By the way, she didn’t have any collar.

This happened for more than a month. So, we decided to do some research about cats and bought food, toys and beddings. She would just come over, morning and night time for food and leave after eating. We also noticed that her belly was getting bigger and already knew that she was pregnant. The night of May 20th, Thursday, she gave birth. But, not in our house. We did the usual routine of feeding/petting her and decided to follow her one day after eating. She gave birth outside, underneath the bushes 3 houses from ours. This went on until, 3rd of June, Thursday, my wife would notice her (we named her Kiza, after our dog, but the female version) not leaving our backyard but instead going underneath one of the bench. And would stay in our backyard for more longer. Until last Saturday afternoon, when I was about to mow the lawn, I noticed 5 little kittens bundled underneath the bench she was checking out the other day. I immediately, looked for a big box, gathered a couple of shirts, laid it inside, and transferred all 5 in the box. I also did some made shift roof above the bench because it can be scorching hot at some time here in Southern California. Kiza, after eating her dinner, checked out the place where her kittens disappeared and found the new nursery for her kittens, didn’t went in. So, I carried her and placed her inside but decided to leave instead. And left her for the night, beside the box.

Yesterday morning, while she was eating her breakfast, I picked inside and noticed that she probably went inside the box to nurse the kitten. After doing some errands, came back at lunch time to checked them out, this time, there were only 2 inside the box, Kiza was wondering in the backyard near the grill. I looked around and the other 3 are not to be found. I looked inside the cover of the grill and found 1 of the kitten under the grill but the other 2 cannot be found. I left it just the way it is until mid-afternoon, I checked them again and saw Kiza inside the box but the other kitten was still under the grill. So, I decided to bring her inside the box with the mom and she started licking her.

Today, while feeding Kiza, I checked the box but there were no kittens to be found this time.

My wife is worried and my conscience is killing me. Was it too early to transfer the kittens in the box? Should I have left the kittens on the dirt? What happened to them? Did Kiza, transferred them again? There are no traces of blood but there are known possum and raccoons wondering the vicinity of our neighborhood. We are also close to a dam where we spotted coyotes but doubtful that they would jumped over our wall fence. We even went to petsmart yesterday to inquire about vaccination and what to do with the kittens. The reason I didn’t call adoption center, I wanted to wait at least 3 weeks for the mother to nurse the kitten before they can be separated. Today also, I noticed that after Kiza ate her breakfast, she STILL went to where the box was located, as if she was looking for the kittens. She wondered around it, went on top of the bench/roof and meowed. She stayed for a while but left like her normal routine before.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh dear! It seems she has moved them but is still checking the box. It is possible that a predator got a kitten or two, or she may have moved the kittens to different locations and not remember where they all are. Or, they are all together somewhere nearby. Only time will tell.

Instead of setting up a box outside, the kittens and mom should have been brought inside for safety.

Three weeks is too young to separate kittens from their mother. They need to stay with their mom until they are fully weaned around 8 weeks. Vets will not spay kittens until they are at least 2 pounds, which is usually around 8 weeks.

Try following mom again to see if she leads you to her kittens. If she does, it is best to bring mom and kittens inside your home until they are weaned and can be spayed, neutered, and vaccinated.

Mom herself will need to be spayed eventually to prevent another litter. Are you now feeding her cat food instead of tinned fish?

I hope at least some of the kittens are still out there. Please let us know how things turn out, and thank you for your efforts!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you 3X for your reply! I really do hope that she just moved them somewhere and that they are all fine. Right now, I am waiting for the mom on her usual visit but by the looks of it, she either is looking for them or with them. This morning, while watching her, she really looks like she was looking for them. As I was telling my wife, if they are all fine, I'm sure in the future, she will lead her kittens to my place knowing that there is food provided to them.
It really is our fault that we didn't provide shelter inside the house but we were scared also since we really don't know having a cat as a pet plus we weren't sure if she really was a stray.
Yes, I will try and investigate again where Mom goes after eating and give you guys update. And yes, we buy food especially for them.

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I forgot to mention also from my novel about the male who is very aloof but definitely could figure out easily that he is the dad because he suddenly frequents our backyard recently. Just now, the male drank from the water bowl and afterwards went straight to the box as if checking it out and then left.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she had a home she would likely not have had her babies outside, especially since she looked to you for food. So you can assume she is a stray, even if she was once owned.

I hope she shows up again and you will also find her babies. Otherwise, it’s a very sad situation and perhaps you can at least get her spayed and take her in.

Keep us posted!

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks and will follow your suggestions.

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning everyone!

Just an update, Monday, I noticed Mom Kiza would seldom leave our backyard anymore. And just this Wednesday while doing a walk through I checked the former makeshift dwelling that looks like it was moved, and to my surprise, she brought all her kittens back. This time, kittens are now walking but too scared to come out from their hiding.
Now, I really need some help on what to do next. I do apologize already way ahead but I don't intend to keep any of the kittens. Thank you so much for understanding.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What level of care are you able/willing to provide?
You should definitely still bring them all (mom + kittens) inside your house, even if you don't intend to keep the kittens. You can put them in a small room or set up a large dog kennel with a nesting box and kitten food (for the mom), water, and litter box. It also sounds like you're able to handle the mom really well and might keep her? It'll be best for her and the babies if they're kept together for at least 8 weeks, preferably 14, with mom spayed at 8 weeks and kittens altered at 2+ pounds. It's also good to monitor each kitten's weight (use a kitchen scale) to make sure they're gaining.

VincentB

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's really hard to get to the kittens at this time since I have a permanent storage shed and that is where they keep hiding. As soon as they know that someone goes to the backyard, off they hide. I still provide food and water for the mom and as far as litter box, she uses my planter box as well. And we will still try our best to continue to feed her and will wait for at least 2 more weeks before I call adoption center.