Worried About Young Rescue With Multiple Health Problems

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janie834

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hoping someone can put my mind at ease - his breathing seems steady and not fast at all, but it is noisy. He seems to have symptoms of a URI as noted above. He is coughing and sneezing a bit less now, but his breathing has become noisy. It is sometimes just on the exhale, sometimes just on the inhale, right now I can hear both. He does not seem to be in distress, he is lounging around resting, and his breathing rate seems normal. Should I be worried, and rushing to an after hours emergency vet, or is this normal for a URI?

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I realize that it is now Saturday morning which may complicate things, but I would call your vet if they are open and update them on the URI and ask if they need to see him. I have rescued cats who had URIs and who were taken to the vet, but who did not need to be rushed to the ER. This little guy has been through a lot though and speaking to your vet would be helpful. If this progresses, I would advise the ER.

Feline Upper Respiratory Infection | VCA Animal Hospital | VCA Animal Hospitals
This article will give some perspective and ideas for treatment such as the use of a steamy bathroom. URIs can be caused by a different agents and will present differently and are treated accordingly.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hoping someone can put my mind at ease - his breathing seems steady and not fast at all, but it is noisy. He seems to have symptoms of a URI as noted above. He is coughing and sneezing a bit less now, but his breathing has become noisy. It is sometimes just on the exhale, sometimes just on the inhale, right now I can hear both. He does not seem to be in distress, he is lounging around resting, and his breathing rate seems normal. Should I be worried, and rushing to an after hours emergency vet, or is this normal for a URI?
J Janie834 I hope he's feeling better tonight.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Janie834

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for checking in on him. He is okay, but definitely still not well. We did end up taking him to a vet who listened to his lungs and heard wheezing. However he did not recommend doing anything other than keeping him rested and well hydrated. The poor little guy has been through a lot and is already on 2 antibiotics (convenia and metronidazole). He is coughing less, sneezing a bit less, and running around and playing and cuddling and purring. We moved him out of the bathroom and into my bedroom yesterday which I think has a lot to do with the latter - he LOVES sleeping on the bed and having so much more space, and natural light. There is a very noticeable difference in his emotional wellbeing I think. Hopefully that helps him get better more quickly. He does still breathe noisily particularly when at rest, and there is a bit of a whistling noise at times (the vet knew this). Fingers crossed he recovers soon.

He is in my bedroom now but still separated from our senior boy, at least until his URI symptoms clear. I have some worries about whether I can ever safely introduce them, since I understand he can be a carrier of whatever caused the URI for life. My senior boy is vaccinated (just recently boosted) but I am still a bit nervous about it. But now the little guy is in our hearts and I don't know that I could rehome him.