Worried about stray mother cat

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I have decided to go with one of your suggestions and call him Vaska. I really didn't think he would make it this far as he was so little and had barely any fur but Mum has done a fantastic job, she seems to know he needed extra as I have seen her a few times feeding just him. I know he isn't out of the woods just yet but his chances are definitely a lot higher now that he is growing and has just opened his eyes

I am also hoping to keep mum, for a stray cat she is very loving but she is not overly keen on my children so we will see if that changes once the babies are older, I want the best for her so if that means having her homed into a child free house then that is what I will do but she will be sterilized as soon as the babies are weaned. It's going to be so hard letting any of the babies go to be honest as I have fallen in love with all of them but I also do not need 5 cats
How is it going with little Vaska? We do always appreciate reports... If everything is going good and well, its enough with just reports now and then...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AnimatedLyric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is doing brilliant and is such a fiesty little guy, definitely gives his mum a lot of trouble getting into everything
We have however decided to change his name as felt Vaska suited his mum better so his name is now Dmitry. He has such a beautiful coat pattern it's like a light black but darker than grey with brown highlights and a white tip on the end of his tail, his colour looks darker in the photos
IMG_20230305_115514105.jpg
IMG_20230315_194853652.jpg

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Dmitryjs ears and tail seems pitch dark.. He is possibly a burmese type point! Rare but fully possible if both momma and daddy carried the burmese point gene... there was perhaps a burmese tom allowed to go out, and so the burmese point gene is spread on the gene pool of local moggies... orpmma and darry are cousins?

AnimatedLyric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes his tail and ears are definitely different colour from the rest of him, his mum is a pointed cat of some sort but being a stray I have no idea on her breed, she kinda looks a little Burmese maybe
IMG_20230304_115302654.jpg
IMG_20230125_120550357.jpg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yeah , momma is prob a combo of rhe siamese and burmese point...

She looks somewhat longhair. Is her tail bushy?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Vaskas overall looks are deccent look alike to a tonkinese... if her tail is bushy; medium haired tonkinese are called for tibetan

Last edited:

AnimatedLyric

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would say she has a medium coat,it's not long but looks longer than short haired cats

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say she has a medium coat,it's not long but looks longer than short haired cats
Yes, so I have noticed. In unsure case we look on the tail.. Bushy tail - longhair gene, shorthair tail - shorthair.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Her tail is bushy
Så Vaska is a decent look alike to a Tibetan. :) Whom are mediumlonghaired Tonkinese; whom are of siamese old type, but its a combo of siamese and burmese points... That is why they are darker in the body than most siameses, and their eyes not always blue... (burmese gene doesnt carry blue eyes; but breeders of tonkinese tryies to breed on blue-eyed tonkinese).

Dmytro seems to be compare to burmese (with white) - I presume he got the burmese point gene from both momma AND daddy... (daddy is prob a carrier, himself he has other looks). Did we talked about a red-white tom as the probable father?

You had got yourself two precious gems to your home. :)