Worried About Pregnant Foster

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My rescue was the same way, they never even asked for ID. I guess they figured if the kittens die, oh well, and if they lived I must be pretty good.
I know nothing about pregnant queens, but if it were a horse, I say labor.
Keep an eye on her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Damiansmom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

Here is the video. She is still breathing with her mouth open but she's much quieter now and her stomach doesn't seem to be moving as much. It was difficult to get a good video because she's laying in the corner and I don't want to move her. Is it normal for her to be acting so lethargic? In the videos I've searched of cats in labor, they all still appear pretty active which makes me worried. She is also definitely having a small amount of bloody discharge which is making me more concerned.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The bloody discharge is normal. She looks like she's resting. The contractions are not so apparent. I'll watch again.

Poor cat is overwhelmed with moving from a shelter to your home and being in labor and having worms.

Damiansmom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! The discharge was really worrying me because from everything I read about it, the discharge should be clear or pinkish, but this is definitely bloody so I was afraid it's a bad sign. Still waiting for a reply from the coordinator. She has been laying around like this since yesterday, but was very active and exploring Saturday night. She has been drinking water, but not eating. She is so sweet, I'm just worried.

Damiansmom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Definitely more blood than water. It reminds me of the end of a period where you get the darker old blood coming out. There's not a lot of it, maybe a little over a quarter sized amount. I have texted the rescue coordinator several times but haven't gotten a response yet.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
That sounds normal.

Can you give her a dose of the pyrantel? The roundworms need to get treated.

Sounds like your coordinator is off duty!

Damiansmom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sadly I went to check on Savannah about a half hour ago and she had passed away. My heart is broken. I have lost bottle feeder kittens in the past and while that was hard, this feels so much worse. I left a message for the foster coordinator and surprisingly she called me right back. I know it's not anyone's fault, but I really wish they would have gotten her an appointment with the vet today. I even called out of work today because I was concerned and assumed the vet would want to see her. I know they likely would not have been able to do anything, but I feel horribly guilty for not insisting she go to the vet. I want to thank you guys for all your advice and support, it was very helpful. I wish I could have done more for Savannah.

mingsmongols

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Im so sorry. That's horrible. I doubt their was anything you could of done. Their was obviously something more going in the the worms but without definite symptoms not associated with labor they would of sent you home if ya'd taken her to the vet. You did what you could and she had a home of her own if only for allitle while.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Oh, my word. Poor, poor kitty. This is so terribly sad. We'll never know if it was the pregnancy, the worms, or what. It's a shame about the babies. :(

Her body was shutting down. I have to think the worms got her. You did all you could though. You really did.

She's free of pain now over the Rainbow Bridge. RIP, Savannah! :rbheart:

Thank you for caring so much and extending yourself. We'll be right here when you get your next foster!

Last edited:

Damiansmom89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you guys so much for all of the advice and kind words. I am still sad over losing Savannah, but my nearby city intake shelter(high-kill) put out a desperate plea last week for 3 mommas with babies, so I ended up bringing home a mom and 2 kittens. They told me mom was feisty and if she was a problem at home she could be spayed and released where she was found. I bought them home Tuesday night and mom is a love. She has no issues with her babies being touched and is more than happy to solicit human attention. She growls if she hears the dogs, but has been great with people. Her girls are around 5-6 weeks old, both tabbies. It's so funny to watch them all together, the girls will try to sneak up and nurse and momma says heck no as she rabbit kicks them with her back feet.

IMG_20170510_191614.jpg
IMG_20170514_001250.jpg
IMG_20170514_001517.jpg

Momma is Lilo. The girls are Mookie and Mulan, but no clue which is which lol. Their paperwork just describes them both as female tabbies under 2 months old.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's great you're helping this mom and her babies!

Mom is very pretty! Babies are cute! Enjoy! :)