Worried about our 8-month-old

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's going to be fine. That's so great. I can assure you that roses aren't poisonous. Rabbits eat mine all the time, and unfortunately, they don't get sick.
   If you put plant food (not the flora-life for cut flowers) in the water and he drank that, it could have upset his stomach. Plant food contains phosphorus, potassium, and nitrogen as well as other things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These flowers actually didn't come with any food, which I thought was strange since the last time my husband ordered me flowers from there (1-800-Flowers) back in September on my birthday, they did come with a food packet.  These ones just came with instructions to water them.  However, I'm not sure if this plant was sprayed/treated with something or not.  It does have kind of a strange smell to it.  Either way, that plant has been moved!  Ezra is now sound asleep with with his little brother (2 weeks younger than Ezra), Leo and is using the catnip sock as a pillow  
   I'm so glad this is over.  I was starting to get flashbacks from when our 12-year-old cat, Bailey, was in his final month of life with renal failure and we had a hard time getting him to eat!

Last edited:

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Okay, now he just ate a good bit of dry food!  I'd say my boy is feeling MUCH better now!  

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm happy to report that Ezra is 100% back to his old self today.  :)

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We actually discovered another possibility of what made him sick.  We found a half eaten Hershey kiss on the floor.  Half of the wrapper and half of the chocolate was gone and had teeth marks in it.  

Last edited:

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I saw and heard him batting something across the floor on Thursday night/early Friday morning and I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just a cat toy or some other insignificant object, but it must have been the Hershey kiss.  I had a small bag of them on my desk and he or our other kitten must have knocked it off.  

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I saw and heard him batting something across the floor on Thursday night/early Friday morning and I didn't think much of it, thinking it was just a cat toy or some other insignificant object, but it must have been the Hershey kiss.  I had a small bag of them on my desk and he or our other kitten must have knocked it off.  
That would SO explain what happened!!

Chocolate is toxic to dogs and cats both.

Great news that he is back to his old self again! 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

What are the symptoms of chocolate poisoning in cats?

Symptoms vary on the age of the cat (kittens are more susceptible than adults), and the quantity consumed. If enough is ingested, death can occur. Clinical effects can occur within four hours of ingestion, but may take as long as 72 hours. The first signs of theobromine poisoning can include:

• Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Abdominal tenderness
  • Restlessness
  • Frequent urination and or urinary incontinence 

- See more at: http://www.cat-world.com.au/chocolate-poisoning-in-cats#sthash.em4pbiOj.dpuf

jwathas

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just thought I'd come back and post a quick update. Ezra has made a complete recovery and is back to being a total piglet and naughty boy. We still aren't 100% sure what made him sick, but we're guessing either he ate a small piece of the mini rose plant or part of a Hershey kiss. Either way, he's totally fine now. No vet visit was required. Here he is all zonked out on the dog bed after a nice catnip session. :)