Worried about my Trixie, I think she ate plastic.

trixiesmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very worried about my cat Trixie.  I think she ingested part of a plastic bag 4-5 days ago, I caught her chewing on it and took it away from her.  But since then she has been very lethargic, not playing with her laser light at all when she used to chase it everywhere.  Not eating much or using the bathroom, she has lost some weight and she just doesn't act the same.  My husband said she threw up several days ago.  I called the vet and they said to bring her in tomorrow morning and drop her off and they will check her out in between patients because they are booked up and are squeezing her in.  What can they do for her?  Will they do x-rays to determine if she has eaten plastic?  Can they do surgery and take it out if she has?  We've had her since she was born and love her very much.  Any advice would be much appreciated.  

View media item 291313

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

trixiesmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did give her some Milk of Magnesia sunday night in a syringe to help her use the bathroom and she did go yesterday and it was loose.  But she is still not eating/drinking well and not going to the litterbox regularly like before.  

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good that she is going to vet. Won't be able to see the plastic in an x-ray, but will see if there is a blockage of feces. Throwing up is also a good indication of blockage too.
I had an ultrasound done before my cat had surgery to remove a headband. It was stuck between the stomach and small intestine so surgery was only option.
Prepare yourself for the possibility.
Pretty cat! Let us know what vet says!

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You obviously know her very well and have picked up that she is not her usual healthy self before she is showing acute signs of serious illness, and have a vet appointment for Trixie ASAP.  This is the best thing you can do right now.  Try to keep her eating a little food, and to take some liquid even if it is from a syringe dropper or something to try and prevent her getting dehydrated.   

The vet will check for blockages, and it will help if you can give as accurate information as you can about what has happened over the past few days.  It might help to write things down before you go because if you're anything like me you can forget the most important things when you walk in to that surgery all stressed and upset about your cat.  Also, you will be able to leave this for the vet if they do not have much time to talk with you when you drop her off with them.  If they think surgery is needed and appropriate they may well want to do it quickly to remove any blockage.  Lots of postive thoughts for you that what ever is happening for Trixie can be quickly and easily sorted out by the vet while she is there.