Worried about my new cat

Vlynniii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I brought home an 8 months old kitten about 2 weeks ago. Since then he's been just fine and dandy. Though just now about 5 minutes ago i found him dry heaving a bit on the stairs. He did that for a bit and then went back upstairs to continue eating and drinking. I'm a little concerned. Is he going to be ok??

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Could be hairballs. A lot of cats will dry heave when they are attempting to cough up a hairball. Sometimes they are successful, and sometimes they are not, at least not initially. Sometimes cats are able to 'dislodge' the hairball to the point of it passing on through their system and out into their stool. Other times, it might take a few 'sessions' of heaving to actually be able to cough it up. It might behoove you to institute brushings, if not daily, then at least a couple-three times a week, just so he ingests less hair when grooming himself.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Vlynniii

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. Could be hairballs. A lot of cats will dry heave when they are attempting to cough up a hairball. Sometimes they are successful, and sometimes they are not, at least not initially. Sometimes cats are able to 'dislodge' the hairball to the point of it passing on through their system and out into their stool. Other times, it might take a few 'sessions' of heaving to actually be able to cough it up. It might behoove you to institute brushings, if not daily, then at least a couple-three times a week, just so he ingests less hair when grooming himself.
I see I see!! that's a relief....I thought he was sick...