Worried about my new cat mum

Missmarple46

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my cat gave birth to 4 gorgeous kittens during the night. She didn't use her lovely nesting box though but instead went under the chest of drawers in our bedroom. They are all breathing and moving and I hear the occasional squeak but my concern is she keeps leaving them. She's following me around her tail wagging and she keeps head bopping me to get petted. I let her show me the kittens and I've given her lots of praise for doing a great job but I'm concerned she's leaving them too much.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Shut her in the room with her kittens. Put her food, water, and litter in the room with her. She will settle down in the next 24-36 hours. Most new moms are in a high hormonal state after giving birth, but they calm down. Visit her every so often today. Once she calms down you can eventually move them to the nesting box.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the above....put her in the room. close the door, and visit her. If she gets too upset about the closed-door leave it open and sit by the babies for a while. Make sure she has food/water/litter box nearby. The litter not close to the food. First-time mamas are very nervous and need a lot of reassurance. They can abandon their babies, so make sure she is with them at least once an hour.