Worried about my little one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shanghaikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another update:

the little one is still not drinking water from the bowls. From what I can tell... but I have only been feeding her wet food and she has been eating all of that. She’s no longer going to the litter box frequently. I think she went a couple times last night and once this morning and hasn’t visited again this afternoon. She’s no longer straining. Her litter box visits are back to normal (in and out). She’s also no longer excessively licking her private area. She’s seems to be better. Her ears are a little warm still and she seems to be more tired than usual but she’s pretty much back to normal. I am going to finish her full week of antibiotics just to make sure the UTI is gone.

I think I am going to stick to a only wet food diet. Does anyone know if the prescription urinating care from Hills or Royal Cannon worth the price? I bought the Hills non-prescription (Science Diet) uriation hairball control. I plan to call her vet next week and ask about it but I went to PetSmart today and saw the prices... 😣.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sounds like she is on the road to recovery! Absolutely finish out the prescribed days of antibiotics! I use both the Hills C/D and RC SO, and yes they are expensive. A lot of members will tell you that if you are feeding mainly (if not all) wet food then the prescription urinary care foods are not necessary. Only you can make that call. Some of your decision will depend on a follow up urinalysis, especially to see if there is any sediment in her urine (aka possible debris from crystals/stones). If her urine is clear from any sediment and blood, I would ask the vet if urinary care foods are even necessary at this point.

Feeby (15+ yo) had stones so bad 10 years ago that she had to have bladder surgery. She was put on Hills dry at that time. I later added SO for flavor variety, and I only added the related canned foods 2-3 years ago, just to reduce her caloric intake and see if she would eat canned food. She - knock on wood - has been stone free since her surgery, so for me, I am not taking any chances by not feeding her those foods. She was also UTI free up until last year, but with her age/arthritis, and the fact her UTIs are always E coli related, the vet thinks this has more to do with her cleaning (or lack of) habits. Her urine always comes back free of sediment and no blood.

shanghaikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I’ll keep that in mind. She’s not a big drinker of water but I was always told it was normal for cats. She usually gets wet food at night but dry food in the morning. But after this incident, I think all wet food is the best idea...especially since she doesn’t drink water really and I didn’t know being dehydrated could cause this problem. I feel so bad but I am going to stay more vigilant on her hydration.

shanghaikitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. You guys really helped me feel a little bit better about he situation. She seems to be back to normal. I am going to continue to do an all wet food diet. I ordered a water fountain. I hope it entices her to drink more.

But I hope sticking to wet food with a spoonful of extra water will help keep this from happening again. 🤞

She isn't to happy about not getting the dry food in the morning but this change is a good change. lol My other two babies drink a lot of water throughout the day but i still plan to get them all on wet food only.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You ROCK!! Good for you :)!
:yeah: I completely agree!

Thanks everyone. You guys really helped me feel a little bit better about he situation. She seems to be back to normal. I am going to continue to do an all wet food diet. I ordered a water fountain. I hope it entices her to drink more.
Good news is always a plus and your perseverance is definitely helping her. :heartshape: