Worried about my kitten

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

midlocats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tried to add a pic, not sure if it worked or not.

I don't feel like we are doing well. Cheez-It was taken off the IV drip yesterday (Fri) at noon. Bloodwork was significantly better, and the vet felt good about sending us home with meds & special food to eat. And wanted to recheck levels in about two weeks.
Friday night he was good, back to his old self. But this afternoon I had to go out for a while & when we came back, he has been back to the lethargic kitty I saw on Tuesday night.
I can't tell if he is just recovering still and therefore more sleepy than usual, or if his kidneys are just not doing what they need to do.
And of course it is the weekend,so our vet is closed. We've spent $900 on him, and I don't regret a cent. But I don't want to rush to a costly ER after hours vet if this is just a part of his recovery from being so sick for do many days.
He has eaten, drank water, used the litter box, & walked around the house today. But the past 2 hours, it has really just been sleeping. And while he did play and was himself last night, I don't recall seeing him "play" other than a short while early this morning.

So I am torn, wanting the best for him and not sure what that is.

Thank you Catwoman for checking in on him and our kitty family

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh he's a handsome guy!!  Since it's only been 2 hours, I'd chalk it up to his regularly scheduled nap.  Keep an eye on him and if he stops eating, drinking, or using the box, then a trip to the ER vet is warranted.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Oh he's a handsome guy!!  Since it's only been 2 hours, I'd chalk it up to his regularly scheduled nap.  Keep an eye on him and if he stops eating, drinking, or using the box, then a trip to the ER vet is warranted.
This.  My two cats have been sleeping for 3 hours now and they are fine :) But yes, if he stops eating, drinking, or using the box please go the the emergency vet, or if he becomes EXTREMELY lethargic you may want to go there too (this would be sleeping constantly, no longer walking around the house, no interest in anything at all).

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You are so welcome :)

Honestly, kidney failure is a very big deal for his body, and will take time to recover and be strong and back to his old self again.

I highly doubt that your vet would have allowed him or been comfortable with him leaving if he wasn't stable enough.

So try not to watch him too closely, give it time and with patience, meds and alot of love, he will hopefully do fine in his recovery.

I brought this up to my husband, as his cat Smokey had the same thing happen, he suddenly went down and was nearly dead from an unknown cause of sudden kidney failure.

He was in bad shape, but with the vet intervention and lots of babying and time, he made a full recovery and I am currently looking at him now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midlocats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A sad, last update on Cheez-It. Things did not improve last night, so we went right to the vet as soon as it was open this morning.
The vet said his kidneys had just had too much loss, and with his decline so quickly after so many days of IV flushing, there was not anything else that they pull do.
Cheez-It left us this morning, around 9:00. He was so young, so sweet, and yet became so sick so quickly. I wish we knew why, but we really don't.
My heart is breaking, anger, loss, sadness...for our family and for his kitty brother who misses him. Our dream of two sweet boys, growing up in our kitty family will never come to be. And it makes me so sad to think of how sick he was this past week.
Thank you again to everyone who posted thoughts, good wishes, or even as you read our posts said a small prayer for our family. It was all appreciated, and I will always be grateful that I found your site in our time of great stress and need. Much love to you all!

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry he lost his battle. You did what you could for him but it sounds like his kidneys were just too damaged. Such a shame to lose one so young.
This thread will be locked now as per TCS policy. Please think about posting a tribute to him when you feel up to it:
http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge :rbheart:

Status
Not open for further replies.