Worried about my cats breathing

nugget345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was on the phone tonight sitting with my cat o. The lounge when I heard a weird noise and figured out it was my 1 year old cat. I felt like I’ve never heard her make noise when she breathes before so it’s freaked me out quite a bit. I’d describe it sort of like a squeak maybe a wheeze on inhale through her nose, Besides this she is fine she got up afterwards and was chasing her toys and being silly (she didn’t seem to be making the same noise while playing) and she just ate some biscuits. Could the cold weather of coming into winter have anything to do with this ? Should I be concerned with this ?

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would be concerned if it was my cat. Could be the beginning of asthma, or something different. It’s always better to get it checked out sooner than later.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since it is a new behavior, I'd feel better with a vet check. If nothing else, you'll have a record of early symptoms I it does become something later on. Try to get a video of the behavior the next time it happens to show your vet too.

tyleete

Queen of the Crazy
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Always vet for anything worrisome. In truth, they're the only ones that will be able to give you that piece of mind.
On an off note, my eldest cat has seasonal allergies every year. This year her vet started her on a nightly Zyrtec 5mg daily regime. She's been doing much better since.
Best of luck and hope it's nothing concerning.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nugget345

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just an update. I took her to the vet and they said she has a bit of rhinitis, nothing to be concerned about it should pass on it’s own, the vet isn’t worried. So relived