Worried about my cat dental surgery

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has a dental surgery Wednesday. I'm worried on how will she eat? Or what can she eat. I have no idea if her surgery will prevent from eating or healing. Anyone with similar experience can tell me?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Soft food, for sure she'll be able to eat. Maybe stick to pate style for the first few days or so if she likes that. After that, even kibble can be managed.

They are usually sent home with a long acting pain reliever in them already. Some vets will give you medication to take home also but I've never found that necessary but all cats are different, as are we.

The vet will also give you some at-home instructions by then.

I have a cat missing about half her teeth and she has no problem eating!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Is she actually having teeth pulled? Mocha had all but six teeth pulled three years ago, and she was so dopey from the anesthesia when she got home that she wasn’t interested in food. Later in the evening, I put out a small amount of pate-style canned food to which I added water to make it soupy. She ate that, but mostly she slept. I gave her several small servings of soupy canned food throughout the next day, and by the second day, she was eating normally. The vet did give me pain meds which I gave her.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

candie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They pull out one or two. She has a broken tooth

Is she actually having teeth pulled? Mocha had all but six teeth pulled three years ago, and she was so dopey from the anesthesia when she got home that she wasn’t interested in food. Later in the evening, I put out a small amount of pate-style canned food to which I added water to make it soupy. She ate that, but mostly she slept. I gave her several small servings of soupy canned food throughout the next day, and by the second day, she was eating normally. The vet did give me pain meds which I gave her.