Worried about my cat, any help appreciated

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm writing in hopes that someone may have some insight about my cat's behavior. She's not at all herself. It started out as her isolating herself, not eating and drinking, and using the bathroom where she shouldn't. The vet said it was just a UTI and sent me with antibiotics. She seemed to be doing better after the meds but now things are worse. Behavior now includes laying in her litter box, aggressive head butting, excessive grooming/biting herself, horrendous cries if I pick her up, gasping for breath and choking at times, etc. The vet ran blood work and it was fine but there is clearly something terribly wrong. Any suggestions or leads? Much appreciated.

darkhorse321

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She may have a blockage----bladder issues are very uncomfortable and will change a normally kind/sweet cat into a very unhappy kitty. Perhaps have them run more tests on her bladder and see if a diet change might help? Especially if she has crystals. Low ash diets and lots of water helped my kitty that had bladder issues. Good luck!!!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Has she been pooping okay?  Kitties who are constipated can get to the point of being very ill.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just learned the hard way that it's never JUST a UTI.  I don't want to scare you because my girl had many other issues at hand that our vets never could get a handle on because of the bladder issues.

When she tries to urinate do you notice any bloody clots or a gel like substance coming out in her urine or stuck to her fur in that area?

It's really important she stay hydrated.  I boiled chicken legs in a couple of cups of water let it boil out all the nutrients let the broth cool and my girl lapped it up and it kept her urinating.

Before you do that, please call the vet and make sure its okay.  Did the vet put her on a special diet, such as the Royal Canin Urinary SO?

I wish you well, please keep us posted.

Hope

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for your responses! I think we will be back at the vet Monday. She seems to be using the bathroom ok (poop and pee) but the other behavior concerns me. I guess if the bladder issues have gotten worse it could be causing the other problems I'm seeing? (The trouble breathing and odd temperament) I'm mostly scared because my aunt said this is the same type of things she saw in here cat before he passed. [emoji]128533[/emoji] I'll definitely consider other types of fluids for her until we get her to the doctor. Thanks again for the feed back!

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, take her back Monday.  My girl even though she was over weight, when her bladder was blocked, she's let out big breaths of air, just like a person would if they were trying to calm down while hurt and put up with the pain.

Does she let you touch her?  Rub her belly gently?

I'll be thinking about you.  I suppose the trick now is just make sure she stay very hydrated.

Please keep us posted.  

Best to you and your sweet girl.

Hope

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just had to rush my baby to the vet on Christmas Eve. [emoji]128546[/emoji]

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Fluid built up in her lungs and abdomen, doesn't look good.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh no!!!! I hope they can stabilize her on some meds. Poor kitty!

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What is FIP? I don't know her exact age or medical history because she came from a shelter but I've had her for over 5 years and we think she is aroun 9.

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Roux is home and resting. We made the decision to drain the fluid around her lungs. The vet said this may only be a temporary fix but only time will tell, especially if the cause is something like cancer. I don't want to be selfish but I just couldn't bare to put her down on Christmas Eve. Thank you all for your concerns and feedback. Just a month ago we were treating a UTI...I thought this might be related...not at all expecting this.

2Cats4everLoved

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sweet Roux looks all tuckered out.  What a sweetie pie.  

Yes, it's Christmas Eve or now Christmas, so please enjoy your baby girl and don't think about what it COULD be.  

One thing I realized when my boy was diagnosed with cancer and I was giving him hospice care, was that he totally picked up on my anxiety and sadness.

I truly believe that they pick up on our vibes, so please speak to her in your normal tone, sit quiet with her so she stays calm and try to keep things as normal as possible.

Most of all, you need to take care of yourself.  I know all to well, what taking care of a sick kitty can do to a body.  

9 years old is still young.  I need to have hope that the draining of the fluids will help her get back on track.

I'm praying for a Christmas Miracle

Warmest regards, Hope 

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FIP will cause fluid to build up in the abdomen and lungs, but this is predominantly in cats under 2 years old, so scratch that one.

The fluid draining is very good, and hopefully is being sent off to a lab and analyzed for it's cause. It will at least give her some much needed relief, for now.

There are 2 things that come to my mind as to causes, and I'm sure there are other causes, but congestive heart failure and cancer will cause this fluid retention.

Also liver disease.

No, none of them are good, but depending on what is found in the fluid will determine treatment options.

Not the best news to be getting, I know.......

Last edited:

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's home and resting!

My Garfield had cancer. Was diagnosed early December when he had surgery to remove a lump. It was 2 1/2 weeks later that fluid built up making it hard for him to breathe. The vet drained off 300 ml fluid from his belly. My point is if your kitty has cancer, wouldn't the vet have seen signs of it already? Hope it is just CHF which can be managed. Not forever but buys you more time.

ashleypaige

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's what I was confused about. She said it's probably from some sort of cancer but aren't there tests they can run or signs of it being the cause? I'll be checking in with the vet this week so I'll be sure to ask more questions. Maybe I was just emotional yesterday and missed some key points. Cancer is seriously the WORST. It took my grandma from us earlier this year and I know this sounds so silly but when the vet was explaining about the fluid around the cats lungs and it potentially being cancerous I felt like I was reliving that whole experience. Our fur babies are part of our family too so it's hard to see them sick. Thank you all for your feedback!

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the vet send the fluid to be tested? Did they draw a senior panel? That would give basic info and liver enzymes too. I would think that if its cancer and its that far advanced there should be swollen lymph nodes which could be found on exam. Was anything said about her heart?

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Diagnosing the fluid will give the answers as to the cause of the fluid present.

I would be very, very surprised if a few mls were not sent off for evaluating.

hopscotch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It sounds like x-rays would be a good way to tell if there is cancer in the lungs causing the fluid build up and the choking and difficulty breathing. When cancer spreads apparently it commonly goes from a primary tumor location elsewhere to the lungs or the liver. I hope this isn't the case for you. I just lost my 16.5 year old girl to cancer on Dec 23rd, so I totally understand how hard it is to deal with this during the holidays. Oreo had colon cancer. Her senior panel blood work was great and showed no signs of cancer. It was seen on an ultrasound and with a colonoscopy.