Worried About Mom Cat Not Giving Enough Milk

M. Ebner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello
My 1.5 year old cat gave birth to 3 kittens last Sunday. Everything went well and all are healthy. But I'm worried she may not be feeding them enough/not producing enough milk. She goes to feed them, but gets up after just ten minutes and the kittens seem a bit restless. I only weighd them today. All 200 grams exept the runt who is 15 grams less. She also seems to have come into heat again, is that possible? Perhaps I'm being over dramatic, it's just she's my baby and I bottle fed her myself(we found her in the bin) it would kill me if something happened to them.

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes coming into heat again already is common. Unlike women they arent protected by giving nursing.

The weights sounds good for 5 days kittens - they must have added ok.
Continue to monitor by daily weighting.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And make sure to keep momma cat inside as she can get pregnant again right away. She should be indoors and away from intact males until you can spay her. Hopefully that is the plan?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

M. Ebner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Of course! I'm planning to get her fixed as soon as the baby's have been weened. I only haven't done it yet because I'm a student and money is quite short at the moment. I think I'm going to phone the vet today anyway, just to be sure.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cool! There are usually low cost places around for it too. If you need help finding one just holler. Would need your rough location to help in that regard.

M. Ebner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cool! There are usually low cost places around for it too. If you need help finding one just holler. Would need your rough location to help in that regard.
That would be really nice, but I live in Germany. I'm not sure if the local animal shelter would help. My boyfriends grandfather has 13 cats, and we asked for a discount as only 8 are castrated and they wouldn't help. And ive had to pay for all the opperations so far as my boyfriends grandfather refuses to pay. Thats why im saving up again for the rest of them and it takes some time as each cat costs around 120 (for female)

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That would be really nice, but I live in Germany. I'm not sure if the local animal shelter would help. My boyfriends grandfather has 13 cats, and we asked for a discount as only 8 are castrated and they wouldn't help. And ive had to pay for all the opperations so far as my boyfriends grandfather refuses to pay. Thats why im saving up again for the rest of them and it takes some time as each cat costs around 120 (for female)
Oh boy you do have your hands full with all that. Are there mobile neuter groups or TNR programs there that could maybe help?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
M M. Ebner -- If you can find some Kitten Milk Replacer, --> that is a product name in USA and Canada,. and also a type of product. It comes in two forms, liquid and powder. Avoid the liquid if you can. You mix the powder with water, usually used for bottle or syringe feeding kittens. But it is also used to supplement a nursing mom cat's diet. It contains the extra calcium, fat, and protein to support her milk production. Provide mom a saucer or two every day while she is nursing the kittens.

Good luck with the kittens and please keep us posted!

M. Ebner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh god. I've just gotten home and the mother cat has moved her 2 of the kittens under our bathtub. There's a whole in the wall there and she has somehow gotten in there. The other one is in the nest still. I dont know what to do as i cant reach them and its very damp in there . Im terrified it will be too cold. I had a wooden board up against it for now but she must have moved it somehow. What can i do?

Attachments

M. Ebner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
M M. Ebner -- If you can find some Kitten Milk Replacer, --> that is a product name in USA and Canada,. and also a type of product. It comes in two forms, liquid and powder. Avoid the liquid if you can. You mix the powder with water, usually used for bottle or syringe feeding kittens. But it is also used to supplement a nursing mom cat's diet. It contains the extra calcium, fat, and protein to support her milk production. Provide mom a saucer or two every day while she is nursing the kittens.

Good luck with the kittens and please keep us posted!
They are all gaining weight just fine. I wave some replacement milk and a bottle just in case. I wasnt worried untill today. Ive just gotten back from school to find that the mother has mooved them under our bathtub. Exept 1. Im not shure what to do