Worried about kitten isolation

calveena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am in the middle of ringworm nightmare with my two new 9 week old kittens. I have seen a vet, gotten them diagnosed, and have started the sulfer dips and meds perscribed. I've cleaned (and will continue to) clean the entire house as best as I possibly can... I wash my hands after handling them, but I AM SO WORRIED for them.
They are just babies that want to play and cuddle etc, and they are stuck in a tiny bathroom so as not to spread the spores. I limiting my exposure to them as well, so as not to contract the ringworm, but are they going to develop a weird personality because of the isolation? It might be up to three weeks of this, and I know that this is an important time to bond and for them to develop personalities.

Is there anything I can be doing? Do differently? Should I be worried? or do I just have to tuff it out. We are only on day 3.
Thank you.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They'll be fine! As long as they have some quality time with you and you're not totally isolating them, they'll do okay. Just breathe, relax, and know that when this has passed and they're clear of the ringworm, they'll still love you and be normal kittens. One of our members, Bunnelina I think, did several posts on her adventures with treating ringworm. You might want to search for her posts in the health forum for more tips and help.

I did a search for you and here and a couple of results:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...light=ringworm

Here's Bunnelina's post about what she learned about ringworm:
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...=ringworm+lime

Hope this helps and keep asking questions if you need help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

calveena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ok, I guess I just needed reassurance. I appreciate it. I stumbled onto this site today, and haven't had a chance to look and see what others have said about ringworm. I will definitely look for her posts.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as they get at least a ~half hour a day with you, they'll be ok. That half hour doesn't need to necessarily be cuddling, but you do need to visit with them. Talking and play is important (play should be hands off anyways to teach them hands aren't toys.)

If you have central air, don't forget that ringworm spores can get in it.

calveena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Good idea on the play. i've been making little toys for them to play with that we can throw away after each dip. They seem to love them. And Q-tips. I'll definitely change the filter on the central air. VERY good point.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have multiple cats in the home air filters need to be changed ~every 3 months anyways due to cat fur build up. Use the filter paper type as they actually work.

A simple throw away toy you could make is to get a dowel rod (you'll be at the hardware store for the air filter anyways
), cut it in half and add a bit of a notch at the end. Get some wide 1" + satin ribbon (cheap polyester ribbon frays easily) and tie it to the end of the dowel rod. You've just made a teaser toy and will have plenty of ribbon left over to make more.

Wadded up paper balls and fleece pompoms are a good safe alternative. The fleece pompoms could even be washed in the washer on hot with bleach.

I don't like Q-tips as toys because some cats will try to eat them.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would avoid the q-tips, but wads of paper are good as well as straws, empty toilet paper or paper towel tubes cut in about 1" segments, and milk jug tops. If you have an old sock, you can knot it off and let them use that to kick, too. Leave a radio on for them, talk radio is good so they can get used to voices or classical music, set on a low volume will be good. Old towels and blankets that can be washed daily are good bedding for them. Also, a box with the flaps cut off and turned upside down with an entry hole as well as a hole or two cut out on the sides makes a good toy/hiding place.

I'm wondering if you can put some kind of filter over the vent in the bedroom to catch some of the spores?? Just thinking out loud.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

I'm wondering if you can put some kind of filter over the vent in the bedroom to catch some of the spores?? Just thinking out loud.
An air vet blowing out won't be an issue. If there's a return vent in the bathroom or on the bathroom door that would be. Though, it's just as likely that the air blowing out of the vent can blow those spores right under the bathroom door... lovely thought there.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your immune system is good, you do not need to be concerned about getting ringworm... Even IF you get it, it is easily treated with athlete's Foot spray or miconidazole (the cream for yeast infection). Not a big deal at all.
I had a cat with ringworm, and never got it.

Unlike others, I did not isolate her because of the added stress on their system. Ringworm is affected by stress as well, and I wanted to keep her stress at a minimum.

If you are not at a multi-pet household, I would revisit the possibility of not isolating them. Just food for thought.

Anyways, good luck!

nekochan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am dealing with ringworm now... I have so many cat toys I don't want to throw away so I've been soaking them in a bleach solution and rinsing very well afterward, then putting them in catnip until they're used, so they smell good again.

calveena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
WOW! SO much good advice! I'm so happy I found this place. Great idea on the cat toys, and I just ran and threw out the Q-tips. Didn't even think about them eating them! (duh) Also blocked the door, but the vent situation looks good. And the only fabric in the room is from the towels they are using as bedding. I've been switching them out and washing them.
These are the only kitties in the house. They both have it. I was afraid that if I let them out of the bathroom and wander around, that they would circulate the spores more and then trigger a longer reaction/recovery period. The vet told me to keep them isolated from rest of house, so I'm trying, but it's super hard. They are so darling. My poor babies!

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And, if you have your own health care provider, give them a yell and tell them the situation - they can tell you what to watch for, and how to treat. Ringworm is just such a horrible name, but it's not quite as bad as you think, for humans. But, you do want to make sure that you treat anything you catch, so you don't give it back to the babies. In most cases, over the counter meds work great on humans. I had it myself, pre-cat.

PS - just an additional reminder - don't leave any ribbons or teaser toys in with the cats when they're unsupervised....cats just love to eat things they shouldn't, and ribbons can actually cause major issues if they're swallowed. But, I bet you and your babies will come through just fine!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calveena

WOW! SO much good advice! I'm so happy I found this place. Great idea on the cat toys, and I just ran and threw out the Q-tips. Didn't even think about them eating them! (duh) Also blocked the door, but the vent situation looks good. And the only fabric in the room is from the towels they are using as bedding. I've been switching them out and washing them.
These are the only kitties in the house. They both have it. I was afraid that if I let them out of the bathroom and wander around, that they would circulate the spores more and then trigger a longer reaction/recovery period. The vet told me to keep them isolated from rest of house, so I'm trying, but it's super hard. They are so darling. My poor babies!
If these are the only cats, then I would not Isolate them... Isolating them, primarily, would be from other pets, and not from the house itself IMHO.
The spores are microscopic, and they will spread around the house through your clothes and air vents anyways. To me, keeping their stress level at a minimum level is much more important than anything - that will reduce their infection time considerably.
Keep your immune system at top taking vitamin c, or a immune booster - it is not so easy to catch, but very easy to treat... The lesions in humans will go away in a few days with athlete's feet meds.
I am glad you are not in a multi pet situation - that makes things much easier!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you think the stress of being in a new environment is contributing to the ringworm breakout, you can always get a couple of Feliway diffusers and use those to help reduce the stress level.

kittymcg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor you. I brought home a kitten with ringworm earlier this year. At the advice of my vet I kept him isolated in a large bedroom. He was fine. In my opinion when they're young isolating them isn't such an issue in terms of stressing them. Plus as they're so young they are best off in a safe place, especially if unsupervised much of the day. Reducing the areas they access will also reduce your cleaning effort and stop many spores getting to the rest of the house. Quarantining is used to control airborne spread and the spores are airborne so it makes sense. Ringworm survives along time in a home too so cleaning is key. I think isolating an older cat previously allowed full access to the house would be an issue but not in this case.

I worried about not spending enough time with my little guy, I managed about 3 hours a day, plenty of toys- he was fine
I got him at 15 weeks and he was in the room 9 weeks. He wanted out the last week but before that was happy enough most of the time.

I would make him a cardboard den and cut slots and feed drinking straws through the holes and he loved that. I replaced ever other day. I also recommend changing clothes after going in their room and washing hands in a strong soap like phenrex or tersaseptic after handling them.

The lime dip is great so if you're using that keep it up!
Good luck

calveena

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Soooo... I broke down and decided to let them out of the bathroom on Sunday night. I just felt too bad for them. I'm cleaning the house like an OCD nurse and I'm washing and bleaching all I can.
The sulfer lime dip and meds are going well (messy and stinky) but I must admit they seem SOOOO much more calm and happy now. They aren't losing hair as badly as they were before.
Yes, it grosses me out, but honestly, I think the stress thing might have something to do with it. They only have access to the main room in our house, and everything is covered with sheets and blankets that I wash every night. Who knows if this is the right thing to do or not. I just know that they were so upset before, now they seem calm and happy. These 21 days could not go fast enough.
I also am taking Emergen-C and have tea tree oil ready if I notice anything on me. Luckily the entire place is tiled and we have minimal furniture, rugs are gone, and clothes are washed daily.
The kittens are loving life and playing. I hope this doesn't cause a reinfestation, but there is a marked improvement to their overall appearence and attitude since they've been let out of kitty jail.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sure your stress level has gone down some, too, with them out of prison. Glad they seem to be happier and enjoying more freedom. Also glad that they seem to be looking better.