Worried about kidneys, she's only 2

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Towards the end of April, my Echo had a weird bout of "malaise". Just 3-4 days being less energetic, slightly less appetite (less excited or demanding about food but was still pretty much finishing meals), barely vocalizing where she's usually yelling, or adorably complaining at me at least few times a day. We went to vets the day after I saw her unhappy-loafing night before. She was seen by one I have not met, but at a clinic I've known for years from when my parents brought our family dogs there.

Physical exam went fine, she did have slight temp at 103 but vet said could be stress since she gets stressed. They agreed to do blood work. These are the results from that, which I was told was all good all normal..but I asked for copies and now the lingering concern I have is about her kidneys. She was 13 hours fasted since this was late morning appointment and when I asked they said to skip giving her breakfast... 99% chance did not drink water in that time since she won't drink from any bowls or cups I leave out. She WILL stick her head in my cups and get hair in my water, but just doesnt drink (getting fountain, yes). I feed her all wet food and add 1 or so tablespoons per meal (she eats 3x a day) though and vet said she might not drink if water if I'm adding to her meals.

Anyway, she has been more herself following this visit. My concern is her SDMA went from 7 in January to 12 at this recent test. Her Creatinine 1.9, which I hope was just factor of being possibly dehydrated... Was 1.5 in Jan. I was told elsewhere in a Kidney cats group the high Albumin did indicate dehydration which can raise numbers, but the SDMA seemed to jump so significantly.... The vets did not offer this information re: dehydration to me and just wanted me to accept that to them the results were all fine. Said she didnt need follow up for 6 or more months unless still acting unwell of course. Regardless, I brought in morning urine sample to test specific gravity, which came back at 1.032. I've read on Tanya's site that anything under 1.035 is something to look into and now I'm scared my young as heck kitty has kidney issues :( Her past urinalysis have been 1.034, 1.030. 3 different vets have never brought up issue with this....I think both of those earlier tests were not first day's pee and I was adding 2 tbs water per meal, making them almost soupy so I'm really hoping it's just from that.... Isn't that still lower than should be though? Even if feeding wet food?

It's been about a month since this last blood test, should I try and get them to do another one this week, but this time when she is hydrated and has had breakfast earlier in the day? I'm worried if I should aim to feed her lower phosphorous foods. Right now she gets Rawz Turkey and Tiki After Dark. Someone else said since she is so young, she could still be growing so not go too low with Phosphorous? I might also order a refractometer to check morning USG after having a regular wet dinner, without added water to see if the low USGs are all my doing, or her kidneys not concentrating... I want to be proactive. Kind of really scared :( don't want to inadvertently be harming her or not addressing something that needs to be addressed...
LilMiss Echo Cuneo.JPG

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The change in numbers could have something to do with her temperature and it could be fighting something in her body. I would do some proactive things like put her on a low phosphorus food. You can find a list at this link: Feline CKD Food Lists - Google Drive

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The change in numbers could have something to do with her temperature and it could be fighting something in her body. I would do some proactive things like put her on a low phosphorus food. You can find a list at this link: Feline CKD Food Lists - Google Drive
Thank you for the link! I do have some Weruva chicken frick a zee but would have to transition her. I'll try and get her more on Tiki After Dark than Rawz. I want to get her tested again, but hydrated and having had breakfast, an afternoon this week if I can get her regular vet to agree. I'm really really hoping she does not have some kind of kidney damage it would break my heart she's so young. The two vets I spoke to at this clinic we went to recently told me not to be worried but I'm finding conflicting information

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Time 2 Recognize

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm wondering if anyone knows what a normal, healthy phosphorous level in a 2 year old cat would be? Her last test read out at 5.2 mg/dl and I can't find online if that is ok for a 2 year old. I've just read higher end can be normal for growing kitties, but low end is normal for adults. At 2 I'm not sure where she would fall exactly when it comes to this number.

The vets at this clinic felt all was fine/normal. I tried to call her original vet but because Echo has been dificult before, she feels they might have to sedate for blood work. So right now I have a Friday appointment and said if they can't get blood without sedating her then I don't want them to do it. Sounds crazy to sedate her to me especially if I'm concerned about her kidneys.

The other clinic was able to do it so if I have to go back there I will. If anyone in lower NY state has a really trustworthy, honest and communicative cat vet recommendation and happens to see this I'd love a recommendation.