Worried about Katie

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm really worried about Katie and will be calling the vet in a few hours as soon as they open. As many of you know, my sweet senior girl, who's 17, had a dental cleaning last week and seemed fine afterwards. No problems with her appetite. Blood panel before her dental indicated slightly elevated BUN normal creatinine. Other levels okay. Vet says very early stage renal failure. Yesterday, she barely ate and, last night, she didn't sleep with me. This is the first time I can remember in 17 years (except for when I've been out of town) that she hasn't slept with me. I found her under the bed in the spare room this morning. Took a lot of coaxing for her to come out. She doesn't seem lethargic, but won't eat anything this morning. Offered her several different kinds of very smelly wet food and she just turned away. The other night I posted on Facebook about how I caught her trying to steal the toppings off a pizza I'd ordered. Tried tempting her with leftovers this morning and she wasn't interested. That's a first. Something definitely isn't right with my my sweet girl. I don't think a visit to the e-vet is necessary at this point, especially since our own will be opened soon, but you can bet I'll be calling right at 8 a.m. Please send vibes for Katie. This isn't like her at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Was she like this before her dental cleaning Eileen?.

Lots of healthy coming for Katie
She was fine before the dental. The only thing out of the ordinary with her recently has been drinking more water, which makes sense in light of the potential renal issues.

8 a.m. can't get here soon enough!

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Bless her. At least he can make sure her mouth has healed ok when your there as well just incase?
I was thinking maybe it could be bothering her and tried to take a look, but she really fought me on it and I don't want to stress her out. She seemed to eating just fine until yesterday, though. She's on a mostly wet food diet now and loving it.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good for you getting her in right away.

I hope she is back to her old self quickly. Many for your old sweetie.

Let us know what the vet says.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Called the vet right at 8 and she said to bring Katie in. Dropped her off on my way to work, so it's a waiting game at this point. Another fun day of worrying about my sweet girl.

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just spoke with the vet. She can't find anything obviously wrong will Katie. Said she's well-hydrated and, upon examining her, didn't find anything out of the ordinary. Her mouth and gums look good. She's thinking maybe Katie is having a flare up of pancreatitis (this happened several years ago too), so is going to send her home with some anti-nausea medication. Said to watch Katie for 24 hours and if she's still not eating, we'll do another blood panel. She doesn't think it's cancer because Katie's weight has been pretty stable, but can't rule it out at this point either. One step at a time, I guess.

Please keep the vibes coming. News from the vet is a relief, but I'll feel a lot better when Katie eats. Thanks!

threecatowner

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope she feels better soon! I live in fear that I will put the food down and one of my cats will not eat. Been there and done that...

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by threecatowner

I hope she feels better soon! I live in fear that I will put the food down and one of my cats will not eat. Been there and done that...
Yea, don't we all.

Sending good for your girl.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This sounds exactly like how my Hope behaves when she is feeling really sick from her IBD- her reaction to tummy problems are to the T what you are describing... Is anti nausea the only thing to do if she is in fact having a flare up of pancreatitis?