Worried about her..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lol she ia and that's what I originally thought too! Ill see if they will fax me my results and ill read em off here..im sure that will answer some questions :)
They are closed so ill call tomorrow... btw she has almost finished her supper..another 3.25 ounces.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So everything was going well on the eating front.. until last night she was being picky and after three foods she had only eaten half a ration. Last night she also had a well formed but 'black' poop.. and this morning would only eat 1/3 ration. She has been off her appetite stimulant for 5 days I believe now.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Did you ever manage to get those results from the vet?   It's good she's been better until last night: do you think she's held / put back any weight this week or lost more? 

Thinking if the vet still comes up with nothing maybe she should be renamed Diva. 

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No I haven't managed to get them yet. I think she haa gained but like its more like her stomch is not concaves anymore..not that she has huilt weight if you know what I mean...lol..diva suits her regardless!!

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay ill type it and also post the pictures of it- just incase one or the other is clearer.. I don't understand any of it anyways lol

comprehensive diagnostic

MISTY                                    NORMAL RANGE

ALB 3.4                           2.2-4.4

ALP 25                           10-90

ALT 29                               20-110

AMY 428                              300-1100

TBIL 0.4                              0.1-0.6

BUN 19                                10-30

CA 9.7                                  8-11.8

PHOS5.4                            3.4-8.5

CRE 0.9                                 0.3-2.1

GLU 104                                   70-150

NA+ 151                                    142-164

K+ 4.9                                    3.7-5.8

TP 5.7                                   5.4-8.2

GLOB 2.3                                   1.5-5.7

NEXT PAGE...IT SAIS ANALYSIS ALARMS: MIC. QCtl..

MISTY                         UNIT                                NORMAL RANGE

WBC 11.3          10*3*/mm*3*                            5.5-19.5   

LYM% 48             %                                              0-100

MON% 3.7             %                                              0-100

GRA% 48.3          %                                                 0-100

(EOS%) 1.4          %                                              0-100

LYM# 5.4              10*3*/mm*3*                              1.8-6.5

MON# 0.4             10*3*/mm*3*                            0.2-0.8

GRA# 5.5                10*3*/mm*3*                        2.8-13

EOS# 0.15             10*3*/mm*3*                             0-0.6

RBC 8.36                10*3*/mm*3*                      5-11 

HGB 12.7              g/dl                                       8-15

HCT 38.1               %                                         25-45

MCV 46                  um*3*                                    39-50

MCH 15.3                 pg                                     12.5-17.5

MCHC 33.5               g/dl                                  30-36

RDW 17.4                 %                                          13-17

PLT 389                  10*3*/mm*3*                           200-500

MPV 11.6                   um*3*                                  6.5-15

here is it in picture form.. and they have little graphs if that means anything..

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I don't know what a lot of the readings mean in terms of cat health but the only one that looks out with the normal readings is RDW which is the red blood cell 'width'. No idea how much of a variation would be concerning and to my uneducated eye it looks only slightly above the normal range. In humans it would be used to measure for something like anaemia. I think I'm right in thinking your vet has read these and expressed no concern so didn't think it was worrying, presumably as everything else was in the normal ranges. Now you've seen the test results you can always ask them again, esp if her poops are still black and she's still not back to her usual appetite and behaviour.  

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She hasn't had another poop yet..should be soon though. She is still only eating several bites at meal time so last night I syring fed a 1/2 ounce of cat and kitteb inninova. Same with this morning. I offer food three times or so first and then do it.m she hates it..she struggles inside the towel and yells and today she bit me. I take it slow with the half once and I put it just behind her front teeth and she eats it... its awful and I will only he able to do evenings when I work..today I'm off.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
  So sorry you're both having to go through that, it sounds horrid.  I know how it feels when you're limited by what you can do because of going to work too. Fingers crossed she she picks up again and starts to eat a bit more so the syringe feeding can have a break.

Hopefully she will poop in time for you to do the lovely checking: if it's still black I would talk to the vet again. Was her poop black when the last faecal test was done and they said it was clear? And do you know what they were testing for at the time i.e did they test it for blood?

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It wasn't black then...this was the first time. I thinj they checked it for parastites. She pooped today and it started black and turned dark brown. So it was mostly dark brown. She is pooping regular even though eating less..I'm going to syring her again now I think.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I'd probably phone the vet when they're open and ask about the tests, the slightly raised RDW and the fact she's had the black poop, even though it was a little different today. In people black / dark stools can sometimes indicate blood and might be worth checking again in just case it has been an indicator or blood loss from somewhere?  Can't do any harm, esp when she's still not right and no cause identified.  
for the feeding too.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually I spoke to him when I called for the fax. He didn't care about the black poop and the fact she is not wanting foood atm..in fact he didn't really say anything his answer is leave it be and hope for the best for do the futher "very expensive" tests. And the other vets answer is they want me to start over with them..meaning do all the tests I already did and then they will tell me what other things I can do next. Thet wony even quote me on the next tests. Bf is with the first vet saying feed her just see what happens so financially i cant do much more..my own personal spending money isnt much and he has to sign for me to take from the join emergency account.. I have noticed her behavour is much more playful and cuddly and happy since she first got her apitite back though.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
You can only ever do what is within your resources (and Mouse is very good at emptying my bank account on a regular basis). If she is picking up then TLC and no more stress and trauma of vet visits and tests may be exactly what she will benefit from the most. You must have one very stressed household and some time out must be sorely needed by all.  I hope not too much more syringe feeding needed so more chance of things settling and being able to see how she is in her self.  
 this can be Misty Diva on the mend. 

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I must have missed it, what expensive tests is the vet talking about?

franksmom

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That's insane that the other vet is insisting that they have to do the same tests again. When I switched vets my new vet just had the old one send the tests over.

You are doing your best and glad she seems better. Hope she just continues getting better.

Last edited:

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
she ate very well this morning- apparently it turns out friskies is the only thing she will eat. Forget the 100's of $ in expensive good quality wet food in the shelf I ordered lol.. She likes only friskies and nothing else that she used to eat. Ill deal with it for now anyways.

peaches08- He was a  little hard for me to understand due to an accent but I believe he was talking about an ultrasound and something that sounded like a colonoscopy to me..

Franksmom- Yeah I know.. the Canadian vet (expensive but one who did the tests) had never seen her before.. my regular (American) vet sent her paper work over and my Can. vet saw her based. The USA vet wouldn't even talk to me on the phone.. the secretary wouldn't let me ask them anything or even talk to them(vet) on the phone.. she would make me an appointment and said to bring in a fecal.. and I said what will we be doing in the appntment and she said he will give her a physical exam and do bloodwork and then we can do futher tests from there if nessesary. I told her she had both of those things just done and wanted to move onto the next steps, and asked again what they are. After 15 min she wouldn't budge. They needed to see her, do a physical and check blood before they would even tell me what the next tests are. So frustrating. Im going to see how things go with her and wait to get paid and then maybe ill bring her to the USA vet to have the same tests done again.. at least I can compare the blood results for changes.. and it will be a little cheaper.. but to have to do/ pay that JUST to know the name and costs of the next tests annoys me.

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can only ever do what is within your resources (and Mouse is very good at emptying my bank account on a regular basis). If she is picking up then TLC and no more stress and trauma of vet visits and tests may be exactly what she will benefit from the most. You must have one very stressed household and some time out must be sorely needed by all.  I hope not too much more syringe feeding needed so more chance of things settling and being able to see how she is in her self.  
 this can be Misty Diva on the mend. 
Well today she ate about 4 ounces of wet food (friskies ..yuk) for breakfast so that's good news!

Misty Diva ... sounds like a stripper or something lmao. Im sorry that was inappropriate but I had to say it! Mischief Diva is worse.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Well today she ate about 4 ounces of wet food (friskies ..yuk) for breakfast so that's good news!

Misty Diva ... sounds like a stripper or something lmao. Im sorry that was inappropriate but I had to say it! Mischief Diva is worse.
       Oops!  
    Lets just stick to Misty, the diva cat. who loves Friskies (today) ...     

dreamraider

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
lol I think the friskies may have spoiled her.. she will probably never want to eat healthy again! haha. Im planning to switch her to raw once she is eating something regularly again- so I guess it doesn't matter if that food is friskies. :p

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My own cats eat firskies and that has saved me lots of money and one cats life.  Ben is diabetic and as long as he eats right food he is ok and no insulin needed. Not a bit wet food eater, but he eats liver and chicken or turkey PATE and does FINE.  My other cat was eating 2-3 cases a MONTH of WD wet and cost was so high.  He can eat 3 flavors of friskies and do fine.  I was doing all wet but got to much so cut down to doing it a few times  aweek.  I am doing 10 ish cases a month.