Worms!

g-reg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Heard our kitten Fenster hacking something up this morning.  I saw the small spot in the living room carpet, grabbed the resolve and sprayed it.. and it moved.  Gross.  He was going to the vet anyways today to get neutered so I brought it along in a baggie and it was a roundworm.  They're giving him a de-worming medicine, how paranoid should I be about disinfecting the rest of the house?  I'm planning on replacing all the litter and giving the litter boxes a good cleaning tonight, scrubbing all the food and water dishes, using pine-sol on the floors, shampooing the carpets, and I'll do that all again in two weeks when hopefully everything has run its course.

Anything else I should be doing?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Round worms are totally to be expected in rescue kitties or kitties that are inside/outside. If inside/outside cat, he should be treated monthly. If an indoor-only kitty, you need to know that the treatment for round worms only kills the adults, so they need to be treated a total of three times, three weeks apart (to account for the life cycle).

You don't need to worry about the rest of the house (apart from normal vacuuming and such), but scooping as frequently as possible until you're done with all the treatments is important. :nod:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

g-reg

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll keep on scooping, he's an indoor only kitty so hopefully this is the first and last time I'll have to deal with it!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will have to also change the litter completely in two weeks time. I would replace the litter now and again in two weeks just to be on the safe side. I would not worry about the rest of the house either. Rounds are pretty common in all kittens :vibes::wavey: