Worm - what would you do?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by aprilyim

Ah! I just read through the thread. Good eye
and best wishes with treating everybody. I can't believe they tried to charge you $160 and I'm glad you didn't give in to them.
Actually, that's what the lab charges.
We were the ones that asked about getting it identified, but that was because the icky vet was the one that came out to talk to me.
I love two of the vets at that practice.

aprilyim

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Actually, that's what the lab charges.
We were the ones that asked about getting it identified, but that was because the icky vet was the one that came out to talk to me.
I love two of the vets at that practice.
No icky vets!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yuk!! I hate "icky vets"
. I am glad your nice vet
, found out it was a roundworm. I have seen roundworms in poops before too, Magilla had them in her poop!! But I can't say they had a green stripe
. The Profender will knock down those rounds, no problem. Just curious, did your vet say one treatment of Profender is all that is needed? I have heard one treatment is good enough, but have had another vet say do another treatment in three weeks.

calvin&i

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Glad that you got some answers and thank God for nice vet!

for Lazlo and the crew - Go beat the worms!!!!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

As to the green stripe - she thinks it's just discoloration from it being so old and shriveled and having been sitting in litter all day and night.
Bottom line is - better safe than sorry. Even though Chum had numerous treatments and 3 fecals that came back negative, most likely he's the source. More likely that than us tracking stuff inside, especially as we remove shoes/boots on the first step, and we keep it covered with a throw carpet that's washed weekly.

As to the Profender, she says it's supposed to work with one treatment as it kills the larvae. Drontal, Panacur, Strongid-T, Revolution, &etc. all require a second treatment after three weeks because they only kill the adults. But she advises follow-up in three weeks for comfort zone.

Also, fecals in cats with worms can come back negative because even though there are worms, they're not necessarily "shedding" the larvae. An adult worm means they were infected at least several weeks ago - and if we're right about the source being Chum, he'd be the one shedding - or that was shedding.

Whatever.

We're just going to go ahead and treat them all. Called Tuxie's vet - he said he's fine with Tuxie being treated with the Profender, best to just go ahead.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am just glad you saw that "green-striped worm"
. It is true that fecal's can have false negatives (is that the right words, oh well
) because they are not shedding the larvae at the moment. You are a good meowmy checking on your brood's poop like that
!!! I did call another vet I have total trust in today to ask about the Profender. They said that one treatment definitely kills all stages of parasites. It is such a great new product and very safe to give to our cats.

jazzmin_flower

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am stunned
and find it very upsetting to read that the medications we all take for granted here in California actually cause pets in your area more harm than good. Every medication out here either does the animal good or does nothing for the pet at all.

(I edited down my previous Reply because so many women object to OTC meds and giving dog labeled meds to cats.)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazzmin_Flower

I am stunned
and find it very upsetting to read that the medications we all take for granted here in California actually cause pets in your area more harm than good. Every medication out here either does the animal good or does nothing for the pet at all.

What happens to cats where you live if they take herbs or homeopathics?

(I edited down my previous Reply because so many women object to OTC meds and giving dog labeled meds to cats.)
I'm sorry, I don't understand the question? I also don't understand this statement: "Every medication out here either does the animal good or does nothing for the pet at all." ?????

As I said, I'm not familiar with a lot of the meds you'd listed (don't know if they're still listed there or not), but Sergeant's has a number of OTC meds sold for various parasites, internal or external, and no, they are NOT necessarily safe, and the idea that either they work or do nothing at all is just incorrect. "Medication" used to treat parasites are not "medication" in the traditional sense of the word. They are toxins that are more akin to poison (some ARE poison), and many cats and dogs have had very serious problems with them, causing them to die or be left fighting for their lives. It has nothing to do with being safe in California and not safe in other places.

You'll find that anyone knowledgeable (not just "women" on TCS) about treating parasites would never use OTC options.

Here's are examples as to why:

http://thatismessedup.com/2009/06/10...-sicken-20000/
http://www.hartzvictims.org/2008/07/...-be-boycotted/
http://www.hartzsyndrome.org/

Laws governing food and medications for animals are not nearly as regulated as they are for people. If Hartz/Sergeant's products kill animals, why are they allowed on shelves? I can't answer that.

I do know they're less expensive because they are not subject to the same research and clinical trial process that IS used by reputable companies for the products that are sold via prescription.

As to the dog/cat thing... if you are EXPERIENCED in working with animals, you KNOW the medication... e.g. you have the knowledge and experience to determine that a dog product is safe for a cat, and you can determine a proper dosage... that is a decision that is between you and a vet. But it's not really responsible in a public forum (IMO) to recommend something like that to people who may not know what they're doing, may not be able to figure out the right dose... I certainly wouldn't want to be responsible for recommending something that may send someone's pet into renal failure.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jazzmin_Flower

What happens to cats where you live if they take herbs or homeopathics?
Why would it be any different anywhere else?

Many people treat their animals with home remedies or homeopathics. We have an FIV+ kitty that we're treating with herbals. But we're doing it under the supervision of a vet trained in western herbs, chinese herbs, and homeopathy.

Plenty of people out there treat themselves, and are willing to try to treat their own animals. I'm not one of them. I do know that many herbals can interact with each other and with traditional meds. Just because they don't require a prescription doesn't make them "safe" or "harmless."