Worm treatment

stftk

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone - this thread isn't quite as serious as some of the other health questions I see, but my cat has worms. She is 9 weeks old and adopted from a family whose outdoor cats had a large litter. Last week I discovered that she was infested with fleas so I went to the vet and had Revolution applied. All the fleas were dead within a day. The next day, I saw a tapeworm segment on her butt (like rice). I bought some praziquantel and gave her half a pill. So her fleas and tapeworm are treated.

The very next day I got a call from vet saying they found roundworm in the stool. They wanted me to pick up an rx for panacur (fenbendazole). However, I've been reading online and it appears as though Revolution will sufficiently treat roundworm. I am planning to give her another dose of revolution in 3-4 weeks so that should be another treatment. Is she all set, then, or would you guys recommend I treat her with another roundworm agent? If so, should I get panacur or just use the liquid roundworm tx you can find at any store for 5$?

Lastly, now that she has had fleas, tapeworm, and roundworm, are there any other parasites I need to worry about?

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Lastly, now that she has had fleas, tapeworm, and roundworm, are there any other parasites I need to worry about?
I would not use any OTC roundworm treatment.  Revolution properly used can kill roundworms, call your vet to discuss, a link is below.  Other parasites that kittens can get are coccidia and giardia, usually with diarrhea.  Normally a vet would just test a stool sample.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
...  Revolution properly used can kill roundworms, call your vet to discuss, a link is below.  Other parasites that kittens can get are coccidia and giardia, usually with diarrhea.  Normally a vet would just test a stool sample.
Did you have a link, RE: the Revolution? I couldn't find it. Many thanks!