Worm help!!!

Pinkforce93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm a new cat owner. I've helped cat sit in the past for friends and family but have never owned one myself. One day I walk outside and there are 2 tiny tailless kittens on my porch. They didn't look old enough to be winged from their mother who I haven't seen. I took them in, and lately while cleaning the litter boxes I've noticed long strings in the poop. I thought since they go outside during the day that maybe it was grass or something from the chickens. But I finally googled it. Idk what kind of worms, if worms, or what kind of dewormer to get. I gave them some from tractor supply but it said for tapeworms. Their butts look fine, luckily they don't have tails so it's easy to see. Only one has a round belly and kinda whimpers when she jumps. Her fur is more coarse than her brothers. She's still just as active and eats great though. If one has, does that mean both have? Do I have to separate them? Cause they will cry for each other if I try.

Attachments

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Almost all cats that have outdoor access get worms but they are easy enough to treat. There is no need to separate the kittens, if one has worms the other is bound to as well. The only way you can tell exactly what kind of worms is to get a vet to do a fecal test. You can either take the kittens to the vet for this or take a sample of poop. I'd strongly recommend taking the kittens as by now they are old enough for their first vaccines.

Don't use OTC wormers to treat them. They're not very effective and can cause chemical burns or even death in some cats. Your vet will be able to give you a proper wormer suitable for kittens of their size.

If they are going to have regular outdoor access they will need worming and treating for fleas, ticks and other parasites every 30 to 60 days. It works out cheaper to have indoor only cats. They don't get sick or injured as often as outdoor cats do and generally live longer

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Norachan has given excellent advice.
It's really hard to tell which worm it might be, but kittens are so fragile and suffer far more and are definitely best treated by a vet.
I really just wanted to say thank you so much for caring for these two.. they wouldn't have survived without you. :)

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The first time you deworm them, I would take a sample to the vet and have him do it. After they get old enough I highly recommend Profender, it needs a prescription from your vet, but just ask him for one and then buy it online. (MUCH cheaper) I like it because it covers all worms, even tapeworms, and only has to be applied once not twice like most. It is a topical which you apply from a tube according to weight, HIGH up on the back of their neck, almost between their ears and down. I got it too low one time, almost between the shoulders and my cat was able to lick some, it was terrible! she ran around foaming at the mouth. it doesn't hurt them, it just tastes that awful. It's a little expensive, but not bad since you only apply it once, and I had cats that would NOT take anything hidden in food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Pinkforce93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Norachan has given excellent advice.
It's really hard to tell which worm it might be, but kittens are so fragile and suffer far more and are definitely best treated by a vet.
I really just wanted to say thank you so much for caring for these two.. they wouldn't have survived without you. :)
Thank you! I've looked at a good amount of reviews for some vets near me. I've grown very attached to them. Took me nearly 2 weeks to touch them and now they won't give my hands a chance to do anything but pet them!