Workout preference - Gym or at Home?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by catsRNmom

Ok, it is work out at home for me, in my own time, my own way, without anyone watching me
I DETEST being watched while I work out. I'm doing pilates. I used to go to the gym a little with a friend. I'd go with her for a month and be doing great, then I'd start having near 'blackouts' so I stoped going. That happend several times. I finally told my DR and she sent me to a cardiologist. Then I got sick of dr visits so I didn't go back right away. Now she's deployed (military dr) and I can't see her. She thinks I may have exercise induced athsma since the other tests came back good. (But then I didn't think that dr believed me anyway...and I TOLD him it always takes a solid month of working out before the symptoms start.) So pilates is good for me now. I havn't been doing it too long or too faithfully, but the low impact helps.

Now convincing my DH that this is how I should work out is another thing. He's a cardio nut and I can't stand it. I had a heart problem as a kid and even though all the tests came back good this summer I'm not ready to jump into a cardio routine. I just really don't like it. Besides, I'm no where near in the shape he is. I told him I don't think we'll ever really be good workout partners....at least not any time too soon!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sumosmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

Now convincing my DH that this is how I should work out is another thing. He's a cardio nut and I can't stand it. I had a heart problem as a kid and even though all the tests came back good this summer I'm not ready to jump into a cardio routine. I just really don't like it. Besides, I'm no where near in the shape he is. I told him I don't think we'll ever really be good workout partners....at least not any time too soon!
I cannot work out with my DH, either! He's in the military so he works out every single day and has a lot more stamina than I do. We've run together a few times and he *coaches* me at home doing exercises, but there's no way I can match him for fitness level.

I think your pilates workout sounds great! I've done a beginner pilates DVD and it does feel good! You really sweat, too.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I go to the YMCA 3-4 times a week. I really love it there, its so great to have somewhere to go to work out! Especially now with it being so cold outside, I get so cold whenever I walk outside, so then my work out is cut short!

I usually walk at least 5 miles on the tredmill and then do the bike for another 2-3 miles, I've already lost 10 lbs in the last month, yay for the YMCA!

weloveellie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I do both. I work out at the gym 4 days a week. I alternate days with cardio and weight training. When I work out at home I do Power 90, it is a 90 day bootcamp, mixed with treadmill. Great workout, you start slow in the beginning and work your way up.

pepper girl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When is start working out it'll be at home not the gym. I don't like using equipment other people have sweated all over...I know I'm neurotic
I have bought a Tae Bo DVD recently...just trying to get around to working it into my routine...

ugaimes

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I work out at Curves. I used to work out at home (Tae Bo and Crunch Pilates), but then I got this job and my company actually reimburses employees' gym expenses (I guess in order to encourage healthy habits among employees).

I love Curves. The other women are very encouraging and I get a complete workout in 30 minutes! I do a lot of toning at home though- abs and thighs, usually when I'm watching TV.

graykittenlove

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really need to get back in the habit of working out. I used to have a membership to the gym but was on eof those people that never made it there. There was always something else that needed to be done. I have a gazelle at home and would love to have a treadmill. My parents have a treadmill though so when I move back home, I'll be on it everyday. I love that thing. Nine months before then though, I'll have to figure out something else in the mean time.