working out of town

dixie penny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I must go out of town on business trip for 10 days

I have two female cats,  a 3 year old and 4 month old cat ( the 4 month old was just adopted in september)

They get along well... except.. when the  4 month old wants to  play. ( which is alot )

the 3 year old isn't much for play. but when the 4 month old demands it  The 3 year old will play  with her for a short while. then she wants to stop.

but the 4 month old kitten will continue to pounce and harass  her.

to the point  my 3 year old cat begins growling and hissing. trying to get away from her

Of course thats  when I intervene to stop the play,

But I am concerend about them being together while I am gone for 10 days on a working trip

The sitter will check on them daily, keeping litter box cleaned,  water fresh and food in good supply.

However, No one will be here to stick up for my 3 year old cat and stop the play and  harassment when it goes too far.

Should I send the Kitten to my sister's while I am gone?  This leaves the 3 year old alone and the Kitten in 

unfamiliar  place.

any advice is greatly appreciated

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I must go out of town on business trip for 10 days

I have two female cats,  a 3 year old and 4 month old cat ( the 4 month old was just adopted in september)

They get along well... except.. when the  4 month old wants to  play. ( which is alot )

the 3 year old isn't much for play. but when the 4 month old demands it  The 3 year old will play  with her for a short while. then she wants to stop.

but the 4 month old kitten will continue to pounce and harass  her.

to the point  my 3 year old cat begins growling and hissing. trying to get away from her

Of course thats  when I intervene to stop the play,

But I am concerend about them being together while I am gone for 10 days on a working trip

The sitter will check on them daily, keeping litter box cleaned,  water fresh and food in good supply.

However, No one will be here to stick up for my 3 year old cat and stop the play and  harassment when it goes too far.

Should I send the Kitten to my sister's while I am gone?  This leaves the 3 year old alone and the Kitten in 

unfamiliar  place.

any advice is greatly appreciated
Does your 3 year old cat have spaces she can escape routes to get away from the kitten?  This might be something to do before you travel. My Starbuck is a munchkin and does not jump so the boys could jump on higher surfaces to get away from her.  Also does the 3 year old ever do anything besides hissing and growling when the kitten annoys her?  If the 3 year old is doing nothing more than communicating with the kitten it may be a good idea to try to let them sort this issue out under your supervision to make sure both cats stay safe.  I adopted my 10 year old Starbuck as a baby kitten and one of my senior males did step up and teach her manners.  He would pin her to the floor when she was being a brat.  The first time it happened I thought they were fighting and separated them.  The next time I took a step back and watched.  I realized he was not hurting her at all and she was just complaining loudly because she did not like being told "no" in kitty language. You may want to take a step back here and see if this is something your 3 year old cat would do.  If there is actual fighting then you would want to break it up.  I knew there was no fighting because my senior had his claws retracted and there was no biting.  The baby was just complaining and did not try to run away or use teeth/claws on her my senior.

Last edited:

orientals

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree, don't intervene, let them sort it out but also have a space for the older cat to retreat to.

We got a kitten last year and he's grown quite big but our small 8 y old girl had no problems letting him know when she's had enough. I've never intervened. She'll hiss but that's extreme, mostly she just walks away and retreats to a high perch or other spot. Never been a problem.

Also, do not separate them. It could create problems for both when they're put back together. Let them sort it out while you're away.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

dixie penny

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice.  

I took a step back to watch what the 3 year old would do when I did not intervene

This morning I noticed Apparently She has been teaching the kitten to stop when I am not around ( ie..sleeping or gone to the store or gym)

She never bites nor trys to hurt the Kitten. But when the 3 year old is tired of playing with the kitten . At first she walks away and  ignores her.  but if the Kitten begins jumping on her back or grabbing her tail.    she growls and will turn around and fake lunge at her ... the kitten backs off

They eat from the same food bowl and sleep together

so maybe I am just overly concerned.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds to me like the 3 year old is setting boundaries with the kitten. This is a good thing and it is being done safely.  I would not be surprised if your 3 year old does smack or bat the kitten without extending her claws.  That may be the next step in their relationship.  If this does happen supervise but let them work it out as long as no one is trying to hurt each other.  The kitten is reading the 3 year old's communication if she is backing off right away.   It sounds like they have a great relationship already.  If they are eating and snuggling together already that is a great sign that they are bonded.  I think you just need to supervise but let them work out the play issue on their own.   It sounds to me like your three year old is already training the kitten on this issue.  Based on the information you provided there are no signs or actual fighting or aggression from either of them.  I think they will be ok together. I would let your cat sitter know about the issue and leave her your sister's contact information in case anything changes while you are gone.