work ethic ?

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I work, it has gotten bad since our new manager came in... I shouldnt say manager but she is but alos my supervisor. She likes to "threaten" people with their jobs, etc. Today I asked her something and she said in front of the people that I work with, "that is a dumb question"
They push you beyond your limit, and when you think you are doing a good job, she manages to say someting sarcastic The people whove been there the longest get all of the crap while the new people (there a year or less) never get talked to. Another thing: they like us to work thru our 1 hour lunch .... in fact, lately, they have been encouraging it. I thought its a law that you HAVE to have your lunch? Does your work do this?
I am a hard worker, and am underpaid. It's just frustrating ...

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Personally to me it sounds like you need to confront this supervisor and if no affirmative action is done from her than I would go to her boss.

This person doesn't sound like a very good boss if she is saying things like that to her employees and in front of other employees. You are entitled to your lunck break. If you work through the your lunch hour then you should be paid for it.

The main thing is you deserve some respect, from her. How in the world does this person think that she will get a good job done from an employee if she is talking down to them? I know I give respect to someone who earns my respect for them.

Start by talking to her in a private area first and put your feelings on the table. Be sure to document what all was said by you and by her, dates,times, etc. etc. Even when she makes a snide remark in front of other employees make a notation of this. That way you will be able to have documentation of what is going on if you have to go to her boss.Then go over her head to her boss if she gets nasty.

Good luck! I hope things get a lot better

spotz

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Heck you could even offhandedly mention the possibility of taking notes or bringing a tape recorded to record stuff.

So long as she knows about it, and doesn't do anything to stop you, it can be used.

You're lunch hour is yours, if the supervisor wants you to work through it, don't clock out.

Document your hours, and watch your paycheck. If you don't get paid for your work, file a formal complaint in writing.

Talk with your supervisor, stay calm, and don't make threats. Stay objective, stick to facts and clear statments.

If she's sarcastic to you, simply tell her that that wasn't very nice. The H word is pretty effective if she is condescending to you more than a few times, after being casually warned. Harassment. Harassment is illegal, sexual or otherwise, it is still Harassment.

Spotz

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You said she was new there. Could there be a possibility that she acts that way because she is not confident of her job?

I agree with blondiecat and spotz about talking to her in regards to her behavior. It would be better if you had another co-worker with you in the discussion to support your claims. I hope she realizes how badly she needs to improve on her p.r.(public relations). Where I work, people with that attitude don't last long!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm, about the lunch hour....not so sure. Are you salaried or hourly? I believe that part of child labor law is a meal period after so many hours. I am not so sure if that is true for adults. The reason I say is because as a teacher, in my district we only get a 30-minute lunch, and it is one of the negotiated points of the teacher contract that it is a 'duty-free' lunch. There was a time when teachers were required to supervise students (i.e. work) through their lunch.

loverly7

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
States laws regulate lunch periods. Do a search and find out the laws in your state. (I don't know where you live. If you live in Illinois, let me know.) Your boss cannot force you to work through your lunch and not pay you. In some cases, it is illegal to force you to work through your lunch. Find out your state laws, and make sure they are being enforced.

If your boss continues to give you a hard time, HARASSMENT! Harassment in any form is illegal, and your place of employment has a legal responsibility to protect you from all forms of harassment.

Good luck to you. Let us know what happens!

louse76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tigger

in fact, lately, they have been encouraging it. I thought its a law that you HAVE to have your lunch? Does your work do this?
I'm pretty sure its not a law unless you're underage. I actually wish I could work through my lunches everyday. At my work you get in trouble if you don't take a lunch. I can get lunch related stuff done on my paid 15 min breaks. But I'm paid hourly and need every cent... how bout you?

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Over here in the UK we have whats known as a contract of employment which states how many hours you work, what breaks you get and for how long etc..., so in other words we are entitled them.

As for your boss, theres a time and a place for everything. Show her who the adult is and get her to one side and explain if she carries on putting you down in front of others then further action would be taken with senior management!.

There's something about a lot of new starters not taking to what we call in the UK "old school"(those that have been there a long time). I've been with my company for 28 years, and about 10 years ago we employed a guy who was works office manager. He had only been with us about two months when one day he started trying to tell me how to do my job and what to say on the telephone!

Me being me, i told him' DONT try and tell me how to do my job!! ' and i also ranted to my director

He only lasted a year, and i wasn't the only one who he tried to dictate to.

We all make mistakes and i bet your boss has made a few in her time also!!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
no, she was in the same position before i started working there, and then went to sales for a year, and then came back. And, no, it's not like I can just talk to her. This person does not like to hear how it is ... In fact, one person was fired because of just that reason. No, I just wont work thru my lunches anymore. it's not worth it. we get paid for it, but that isnt the point i am trying to make. the point is she shouldnt treat her employees like dirt.

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fired for it? Well, if she wants to fire people for POLITELY disscussing their issues with her, she will just end up depopulating the bussiness of employees. Eventually, she will realize that and have to start looking at her own behavior and it's effect on the employees.

I've always liked offhanded remarks. She's putting you down in front of others, you mention, "Oh, did you see that show last night on workplace harrassment? I found it sooo enlightening."

Then again, I tend to be a very sarcastic person who unfortunately, has no fear of authority.

globalspot28

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tigger

Where I work, it has gotten bad since our new manager came in... I shouldnt say manager but she is but alos my supervisor. She likes to "threaten" people with their jobs, etc. Today I asked her something and she said in front of the people that I work with, "that is a dumb question"
They push you beyond your limit, and when you think you are doing a good job, she manages to say someting sarcastic The people whove been there the longest get all of the crap while the new people (there a year or less) never get talked to. Another thing: they like us to work thru our 1 hour lunch .... in fact, lately, they have been encouraging it. I thought its a law that you HAVE to have your lunch? Does your work do this?
I am a hard worker, and am underpaid. It's just frustrating ...
Actually it is VERY ILLEGAL to make you work through your lunch. The law says that you must have two 15 min. breaks and one 30 min. lunch!

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by globalspot28

Actually it is VERY ILLEGAL to make you work through your lunch. The law says that you must have two 15 min. breaks and one 30 min. lunch!
Federal Law says this? In what context? And for how long a period of time? Tigger did state that she gets paid through her lunch.

sweets

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lunch laws are dictated by each state. In NJ its 2 15 minute breaks and a 30 minute lunch.

As for talking to your supervisor, I agree with talking to her privately, but bring someone from HR with you! Let both of them know that HR is there as a witness only. Bring up everything that is bothering you, like the lunches and the disparaging remarks. Make sure you bring things said, when she said it and the context in which it was said. Also, inform them that you will continue to make note of any more remarks. The next step is a formal complaint with HR. And don't be afraid to go thru with it. It IS against the law for her to fire you for making the complaints. So keep your nose clean once you have gone thru with these.
I have gotten 3 nasty managers demoted with this method. One actually yelled across a crowded lobby that if I don't work her way, the door may hit me in the ass on the way out. (I was sending my employees to 15 minute lunches)

Sandy

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
haha, go to hr? are you serious? the hr lady is just the same, and should not even be an hr rep. she doesnt know the laws, she is completely spacey, and when you ask her something she tells you to email corporate. And, I am not joking.
No, i've been looking for another job anyways. if and when it comes to me putting my 2 weeks in, corporate calls you for an interview ... i will just let them know.
i'm sure there are some or most of you who have worked for companies like this?