Work Attendance Policy

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

I work in a small company and they are pretty laid back about all of that. It's pretty much just call and let us know what's going on. I'm not sure what they would do if someone couldn't be bothered to call & let us know they would be late because it honestly doesn't happen. I guess mutual respect goes a long way...
That's the same with my job. I work in a very small company and as long as I let my boss know whats going on he is fine. We don't have any set policies. I missed a week several months ago because I had salmonella, took a week off 2 months later to move to the new house, then took another week and a half off right after that because I had mono and pityriasis rosea at the same time. All of those things were out of my control, he understands and had no problem with me being out of work. As a matter of fact, he would still allow me to take some time for vacation since all the time I have missed up to this point was due to being sick, or moving.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a policy per se, but we are all adults there and know that it is OUR responsibility to get to work on time.

If we have a flat tire or a real reason for being late there is no problem, but if it is a case of often being late for no reason other than not being responsible then it becomes a problem and we are told so.

Fortunately, I have never had to be told as I arrive at least 15 minutes to 1/2 hour early for work each day. I rarely stay late because my family time is important to me and my boss is aware of this from the beginning of my employment. If he REALLY NEEDS me to stay late I have no problem with it, but I don't stay late if the problem is his lack of organization.

He treats me as an adult who accepts responsibility and it's a give and take situation. I make my dentist appointments for early evening and my doctor appointments for first thing in the morning or last appointment in late afternoon to accommodate them and they in turn accommodate me should I have to have an extra hour here or there. I usually make it up during lunch.

I think it's a matter of integrity personally.

bumpy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No policy of when one arrives for work or how long one takes lunch. As long as one completes the work on time. This even applies for the secretaries, after all there are many times where we work the secretaries until 2, 3 am or later and sometimes we may even call them back on saturdays and sundays. We only look at the work the people produce so I have no problem with the secretary chatting on the phone with friends or family or even surfing the net.

Sometimes you can see people coming in at 12 but that may be because the person may have worked until through the night until 7 in the morning. But that is irrelevant since one should measure an employee by the amount of quality work they produce on time rather than the amount of time spent in office or how punctual he or she is for work.

Therefore I would much prefer to have someone who constantly comes in late but produces top quality work on time rather than one who always comes in on time but produces terrible work. After all are the people here to produce the work or here only to come in on time.

Perhaps there may be some office jobs such as the front desk receptionist that requires one to be there on time but with voice mail, answering machines, blackberry, email, not only do you not need to be at your office but you also do not really need your secretaries there on the dot.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

talon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All good points on the fact that we are all adults and should be able to regulate ourselves. Unfortunately there are a few that, even though adults, aren't capbable, nor do they want to do this. I beleive the policy that they are imlpimenting at work is aimed at those people, a way to, with written policy - be able to write them up and/or finally terminate them. In working for a large company - they need want "reasons" that are documentable to avoid lawsuits. The bad things it that the remaining portion (vast majority) are also being made to feel like the company doesn't trust us anymore.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good Lord if any of these policies applied to my work I'd surely have been fired by now!!
I even changed the answering machine message to say that the rooms would be attended from 9.15 to 5.00 cos I can just never seem to manage to get there by 9.00!!

The only policy in place where I am is that I have to take three out of four weeks of my annual leave at the same time as my boss.

But even that hasn't happened yet and I've worked there for four years...

jakkies

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Working from home has definite benefits

I know for hubby's work the starting hours are kinda flexible but also they work a lot of overtime and weekends so 30 min here and there is not the end of the world. And of course the company can't complain because the people produce top quality work for the company and don't get paid overtime. You have to be able to produce a doctor's letter if you are absent mondays and fridays after having claimed illness. But generally the company is very understanding and possibly it helps that it is part of the creative industry.

purity

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

We don't have a policy per se, but we are all adults there and know that it is OUR responsibility to get to work on time.

If we have a flat tire or a real reason for being late there is no problem, but if it is a case of often being late for no reason other than not being responsible then it becomes a problem and we are told so.

Fortunately, I have never had to be told as I arrive at least 15 minutes to 1/2 hour early for work each day. I rarely stay late because my family time is important to me and my boss is aware of this from the beginning of my employment. If he REALLY NEEDS me to stay late I have no problem with it, but I don't stay late if the problem is his lack of organization.

He treats me as an adult who accepts responsibility and it's a give and take situation. I make my dentist appointments for early evening and my doctor appointments for first thing in the morning or last appointment in late afternoon to accommodate them and they in turn accommodate me should I have to have an extra hour here or there. I usually make it up during lunch.

I think it's a matter of integrity personally.
Totally agree. I get in about half an hour early, so even if there is a hold up on the way in I'm rarely late (maybe once or twice in two years).

My boss treats us like adults, and the respect I have for him reflects this.