Work and posting on TCS...

deb25

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not only is it against policy to use a school district computer for personal use, whether you are on school-time or your own time, but I wouldn't have 2 seconds of time at work to spare to even peek at TCS. Also, due to our blocking software, I cannot access any web-based email at all. I do not get personal emails at my work email, because all of my email is potentially public record.

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do post at work, but I'm sure my boss would say that there are more valuable things I could be doing with my time
...to my credit though, I only do it once all my paperwork for the day is done.

darkeyedgirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We all surf the net here cuz we all have our own offices, and heck our boss hardly ever comes in (he's SVP level & only works like 2 hours a day... if that).

Our company has rules & policies & such but since everyone does it... ah well.

I don't post from home (usually) cuz I'm too busy at home. Work however, well I have to take breaks from all the madness of being in Sales... so... here I am...

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I often have to use the internet for researching my stories, the boss doesn't mind that I spend time on TCS, so long as I meet deadline.

milopixie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not really supposed to be using the internet much, but I have so many slow days that if I didn't I'd go crazy. My work is always done so my boss has never complained about seeing me on the internet, though I usually hide it pretty well.

Right now though I'm past the point of caring, bc unfortunately I've only got another month and a half till my contract is up here
and I know my boss will give me a great reference. So now I'm really online all day long!

beach bum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vespacat

How many of you hold a day job but manage to find time to post on TCS at the same time?

Does your boss mind? Or do you do it discreetly? I know when I go back to work, I will certainly go through withdrawal, because I would get fired for chatting on TCS all day. Not to mention, it's way too busy there to focus on doing any posting here.
A very interesting question, of interest to many (US) and abroad. I thought that I would hold a very unscientific sampling of when TCSers are most likely to post to TCS, which may help answer this question.

So -- I kept a record on my computer of "New Posts," daily, from Sunday, August 28 through Saturday, September 3. I recorded postings between about 6:30 a.m. each day through about 9:00 p.m. each evening, Central Time (US). This was roughly the hours this ol' man was up and about.

I recognize that noting the date of reception of postings does not relate directly to the date they were posted, but, all things being relative, perhaps some intelligence may be gleaned from my sampling. I will, however, leave that to you.

It should be noted that, since I am but a Newborn Kitten, IMOs were not recorded in my "New Posts." This may skew the results on the low side, but it should also be recognized that the terrible Katrina tragedy in New Orleans also appears to have skewed IMO posts on the high side, witness the recent very wise action by our similarly very wise monitors to institute an IMO hiatus.

Anyway, here is a picture of the results of my survey for the week of August 28 through September 3.

I would be interested in your conclusions as to whether this sheds any light on the original question of "How many of you hold a day job but manage to find time to post on TCS at the same time?"

All the best to all, as Samwise says "It is bedtime, Dad."

Jim