Words You Hate...Words You Love

quinstar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great post.

Words I love

lucky- I don't really know why, but I've always loved it
Hidalgo- yes it's a name, but it just rolls off your tongue, plus loved the movie
kitten, puppy, baby,- basically if it means a small baby animal/person i love it
gnome- its fun

Words I hate

panties- again, don't really know why, just hate it
any slang used for a minority
like, um, totally- makes you sound like a ditz

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Words I love:

infinity-serenade-cathedral-contingent-

most words really. Words have so much power -
"Words are the most powerful drugs used by mankind."

-Rudyard Kipling-

I hate words that demean or demoralize people-

turtlecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
beloved words:
Evisceration
Mastication
celestial
beloved!
Detest
Grimoire
expose
Architecture
Buttresses (flying and otherwise)
Fission
Fusion

detested words:
Preggers (it's sorta belittling of the event, I feel)
Poorly pronounced words(when they are simple and in one's primary language, suck as aks)
the word "pacifically" when not speaking of the ocean that keeps japan and california seperate.
billing.
"mouth-feel" there was already the perfectly appropriate word for this sensation. it's called "texture"

annabelle33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i hate the words belly and beau probably more than any other words.. "You don't look so good does your belly hurt?" just makes me twitch.. "My beau bought me flowers" just annoys the crap out of me.

Most other words I love..

grneyedmustang

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
words i hate:

ergo
crux
uvula
purview

words i love:

tranquil (such a "tranquil" sounding word, LOL!)
serene
chartruese
ay caramba (<---funny words)!

cilla

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Mom of Franz

Oh I love limericks!!!! I used to write very naughty ones for this neurosurgeon I used to work with. The last time I saw him he told me he still has em under his desk blotter in his office...glad my names not on them. I like Haiku too. We should start a Haiku and/or limermick thread. One poster, posts a limerick/haiku then a subject, next person writes on that subject and repeat! Feral Whisperer you are an inspiration and I loved your limerick! I just love the limerick meter!
Barbara I love limericks too. AA BB A. Please start us a thread off with limericks.

vinceneilsgirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Words I Love...

1. Shabbos
2. Mitzvah
3. Hale

Words I Hate...

1. Holocaust
2. Anything racist, especially "kike".
3. Swearing is ok, but take God's name in vain and see how long it is before you lose my respect.

auroraviva

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmmm . . . words I hate?

Colloquial (This word absolutely bugs me to death, but it's a really long story as to why . . . )
Fabulous
Gyro (The food.)
Needle (ESPECIALLY when used in reference to something involving me.)
Nomenclature

I think it goes without saying that I don't like "bad" words . . . demeaning, insulting, cuss words, etc. . . .

Words I love:

Exquisite
Precocious
Myriad
Melancholy
Mellifluous
Anomaly
Accentuate
Wistful

And one more . . .
Bunkcoo (This isn't English . . . it's Czech, but I think it's the greatest word . . . it means "grouch" and is pronounced "booonck-cooo" with long "u" sounds, like in "boo" or "boot". My boyfriend told me his parents used to call him that, like a pet name, and for some reason I thought it meant teddy bear, or cuddle bear, or something cute like that, and started calling him that, and by the time he told me what it really meant, the name was stuck. It's just such a satisfying word to say.
)

lucia

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Most of my favorite words seem to begin with 'p':

Peruse
Perplex
Paws
Pfui (Nero Wolfe's favorite 'curse word')
Phoebe
Purloined

I could go on. Go figure!

(I also like the word 'frustum', which is 3 dimensional trapezoid, like a pyramid with the pointed top lopped off.)

I dislike a lot of medical/scientific terms for body parts and functions, especially sexual ones. The words often sound ugly. I think that may be why certain euphemisms arise, even though many of them are no better. I also detest the various words used in expressions of 'toilet humor' by adults, which I just don't get.