Word of Warning -- New Food

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Hi...,

I know the majority of you get the expensive cat foods at the pet store, such as Iams, Science Diet, or whatever.

Since I have so many cats, I just can't afford to do it all the time. I always buy the natural dry food (they get wet also) making sure there are no colors, fillers, artificial flavors, etc.

The other day I saw advertised and then bought something called "The Goodlife Recipe"....with real salmon, brown rice & garden greens.....it said no artificial flavors or preservatives, no fillers, taste guarantee, etc., etc.

I have to tell you.....it was horrible. The cats LOVED it....and this was on last Thursday I gave it to them.

Don't mean to be gross, but this is a reality forum.....almost all of them are still having diarrhea....their stools are almost bright orange....and there is a little throwing up. Much bettere today than it was the day after they ate it....could not believe it....just thought I would warn you all.....I bought it at Publix....and it was EXPENSIVE.

Regards to all....Toomany
Just to clarify, Iams and Science Diet are terrible cat foods, I put them right up there with Pedigree and Purina. The Goodlife looks good with its claims and packaging, but when you read the ingredients, you see what a bad food it is. With 6 cats I only spend about $30 a month in dry food, and that's feeding California Natural. Anything that you can buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not high quality. You will be better off in the long run by not having expensive vet bills, by feeding high quality cat food now, instead of the junk you find in the grocery store.

Some examples of high quality foods are:
Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

And those are just a few. Chicken Soup would probably be the most cost effective of the group I listed.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

Just to clarify, Iams and Science Diet are terrible cat foods, I put them right up there with Pedigree and Purina. The Goodlife looks good with its claims and packaging, but when you read the ingredients, you see what a bad food it is. With 6 cats I only spend about $30 a month in dry food, and that's feeding California Natural. Anything that you can buy at Wal-Mart or the grocery store is not high quality. You will be better off in the long run by not having expensive vet bills, by feeding high quality cat food now, instead of the junk you find in the grocery store.

Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

And those are just a few. Chicken Soup would probably be the most cost effective of the group I listed.
Very true but many of those are $$$$$ for someone starting on the sales at the grocery store...
Cost also varies by area ... here feeding two cats Cal natural is about 20$ a month...

TO the OP if you want to here about some options that are better than your current I am a PM away

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
http://www.crvetcenter.com/foodallergy.htm - lists hypoallergenic carbs for dogs and cats, and which carbs most often cause a food allergy

I always give this link, good article and you'll see corn is listed as one of the carbs most often causing a food allergy. Dealing with a food allergy in even one cat can be expensive, let alone in a multi-cat household. Trust me, I know from experience (miss you sweet Joshua Poobers).

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks for that link Pat...
the site also has an excellent section about scent sac issues...
Dexter's tend to plug.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

Innova
Evo
Felidae
California Natural
Wellness
Solid Gold
Prairie
Timberwolf Organics
Chicken Soup

I didn't know the grocery store food was junk food. All my cats are over 10 years old to 18...and have been eating it for all their lives. Oh well.....learn something every day.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Most grocery and many premiums foods are GRAIN based ...or Animal by product based( heads, ft, guts, organs, undeveloped eggs) ... this means less digestable and you have to feed kitty more than some of the ones that are meat based...less digestable also means some of the nutrients may not be absorbed as well

I use a mid leval premium cause I find it cost effective and have had less vet issues than on grocery foods///

You can find "decent " food in the grocery store .... examples Walmarts Maxxium brand , Purinas Naturals , Natural Life... all are animal by product free and chemical presvative and artifical flavor and color free .. They are not corn , wheat and soy free which is fine for MANY cats ... Many good wet s can be found there as well but the $$ are about the same for True premiums in the mid quality to high quality range...

I would love to feed an all raw diet but my Zoey wont eat
... Rule of thumb give the best food you can afford and the cats will eat... I had a girl see nearly 19 she ate friskies for the first 13 cause I did nt know any better ...

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by toomany

Fingers are crossed.....what do they eat now?

Oh, and by the way.....from your signature....looks like you have a few of those "blue-eyed demons".....

My poor Sammy (cross between a Siamese and Tabby)....wants so bad to be a "real" Siamese....he even crosses his eyes for me!!!
Your Sammy is soooo cute!
He looks a bit smug
, too, like he knows he's cute!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

toomany

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your advice. Actually, I initially posted about the effect the new "Goodlife" food had on my cats....as a little bit of a warning because I experienced. Actually, was not asking for advice on what I feed my cats...but thanks for all the interesting information and well worth looking into. No need for further posts on here for me. Thanks.