Woohoo - Brazil will host the 2016 Olympics!!!

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There were a lot of bummed out people in Chicago today, but probably just as many who were happy we weren't selected. When Mayor Daley backed down from his statement that it "wouldn't cost the taxpayers a dime", I think that's when the tide turned against it.
Chicago is in deep financial trouble and the idea of higher taxes was tough to swallow.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is great for Brazil!!!!Congratulations!!
I can't wait until the next winter olympics all of my favorite sports are winter sports...

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is so exciting! My sister's ex is from Brasil - Sao Paulo to be exact and so naturally I am excited for Brasil! Congratulations!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As a long time resident of Chicago, when I heard the news that we were out of the running, my first and only reaction was:

Mayor Daley can stick it!

Way to go Rio! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by clixpix

As a long time resident of Chicago, when I heard the news that we were out of the running, my first and only reaction was:

Mayor Daley can stick it!

Way to go Rio! Good luck!

babz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

I was hoping for Rio. I just think that it will be such a fantastic view for us TV viewers since we all can't go.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They won with 66 votes - record number, shared only with Athens

Sorry but I am a proud Brasilian today.... I get to be a proud American every day, but today I get to be a proud Brasilian!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by WellingtonCats

awesome!!!

How about coming to NZ for the RWC 2011!
Like I need an excuse to go to New Zealand.
If I ever see a conference there, or anywhere in the area, I'll be on it in a heartbeat.

Congrats to Brazil! I bet the Olympic athletes will be happy about that venue. Chicago is a nice city, but it just can't hold a candle to Rio as an exotic locale.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't dance like Carmen no more...

Isn't July like...WINTER in Rio? What's the weather like that time of year?

I think Rio more than deserved it. Glad they got it. And I knew Carolinalima would be very pleased!

grogs

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mrblanche

Isn't July like...WINTER in Rio? What's the weather like that time of year?

I think Rio more than deserved it. Glad they got it. And I knew Carolinalima would be very pleased!
I suspect Winter in Rio is like late Spring in more temperate climes. I was watching the Weather Channel earlier this week and they showed the average weather conditions in each of the 4 Olympic-hopeful cities. Rio's looked like the best to me. Average high in the mid-80's, winds typically light, and very little rain - only about 1/2" in July on average compared to as much as 6" in some of the others.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The equator goes right through Brazil, if I remember correctly. So if it's anything like Guam (13 degrees above the equator) there IS no winter. The only difference in the seasons is the humidity lets up in the winter months and the trade winds blow but it still is in the 80's/90's.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by carolinalima

They won with 66 votes - record number, shared only with Athens

Sorry but I am a proud Brasilian today.... I get to be a proud American every day, but today I get to be a proud Brasilian!
And you have every reason to be proud!! Congrats! I can't wait to see your beautiful country. My ex boyfriend lived in Brazil for 3 years with his ex-wife. I think he lived a few hours from Rio and he just loved it.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

The equator goes right through Brazil, if I remember correctly. So if it's anything like Guam (13 degrees above the equator) there IS no winter. The only difference in the seasons is the humidity lets up in the winter months and the trade winds blow but it still is in the 80's/90's.
Yeah, you are right, but the Equator cuts Brasil in the north region... Brasil is quite "vertical" geographically, and Rio is ways away from the Equator. They do have Seasons in there - you do not want to be there in the summer
HOT, but PERFECT for the beach though
A summer day in Rio is ofen well over 100F...
A Winter Day is a Chilly 70F
... Rain can be the biggest problem, but not too bad

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just looked up Rio/Brazil and realized that Rio was lower in the country than I thought. But it looks like the Tropic of Capricorn goes right under it. I'm guessing the temps are pretty close to Hawaii then since they are right above tropic of cancer. Sounds like an awesome place to hold the olympics, especially in their "winter". LOL, I want to move back to the tropics!