Won't use the litter box anymore

dimp1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 18 yo cat Panther just refuses to use the litter box since he had a kidney infection several months ago. He's always shared the litter box with his brother Boots but now he just goes outside the litter box on the laundry room floor. We've tried several different types of litters but nothing seems to work. Any suggestions?

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
The litter box probably reminds him of the pain of the kidney infection. So he still thinks using the litter box will hurt.
Maybe you could try buying a new completely different litter tray so it looks nothing like the old one

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dimp1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Really? He does meow to go outside when he needs to "go", but if we aren't home, I wish he would use the litter box[emoji]128530[/emoji]

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yeah unfortunately he now associates the litter box with pain. He does not know he had a kidney infection. He thinks he went to the toilet in the box one day and it hurt and the box must of caused the pain.

jacval60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Go figure my 17 year old cat no longer wants to use the litter box either. My room has a back door on it, that is cause my room used to be the kitchen. Now i have to leave the back door open all night. I live in California where it is hot a lot yet in winter nights can be a little nippy. I plan to put a vegetable garden in my back yard I do not know what I'll do when she still insists to go in the back yard. Yet my cat has been sick so that is probably why she will not go in the box.

jacval60

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a place that might help, i'm glad I looked cause my 17 year old cat who was sick, and treated for it will not use the box anymore. She prefers to go outside. I also noticed at this website that the Vet will answer your questions. It is very rarely that a vet will answer your questions without charging. If you scroll down you will see, him answering other people's questions. Yet it is only for cats behaviors such as not using the litter box anymore.

http://texasvetbehavior.com/is-your-cat-avoiding-the-litterbox/

dimp1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to both GemsGem and Jacval60! After reading ur posts and checking out that vet website, I'm off tomorrow to get a new litter box and start clean. I'll let u know of the progress. :wavey:

deborahlee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
At that age, it is possible his joints are beginning to ache as well and he is having trouble navigating the litter box.

When you get the new one, get one with one side that is low so he can step into and out of it easier.

dimp1022

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the new litter box isn't working either.  Same problem remains.  Also, I've noticed that he is having some bloody mucus in his bowel movements.  Thoughts/

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It probably means he still has pain. Get him to to the vet asap, kidney/urinary problems in older cats are never to be left alone.