Won't Use Litter Box For A Half A Year

Emmiismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had my Emmi since she was a kitten and she's is about 5 now. It's just her and I in the tiny apartment I have. She's never had a problem with using the litter box till about six months ago.

There hasn't been any major changes in her life. I took her her to the vet and she came out with a bill of health.

She pees next to the door and defecates in the living and bed room.

I called my vet to see what I can do and was told to put her in a room while I'm sleeping and away. (I don't leave often). I did that and it worked for about two days and then she starts it back up again. I moved her box to see if that was an issue and then she peed and defecated in the bed.

I'm not sure what else I should do or what steps I can take to get her to going back to being the well behaved devil I know she can be.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emmiismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her diet is 4health and it hasn't changed either

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A UTI is often the reason a cat does not use its litterbox. Did the vet test her, or treat for an infection?

If he did and no infection then there are some things you can try.

Wet food, i think thats were maggiedemi is leading with her question. If she eats more dry than wet i would definitely up the wet food.

try a new large uncovered litter box. Maybe even a different brand of litter?

Do you know if you got new neighbors with new pets? sometime a new cat or dog next door can cause the problems. Does she seem more stressed?

Emmiismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A UTI is often the reason a cat does not use its litterbox. Did the vet test her, or treat for an infection?

If he did and no infection then there are some things you can try.

Wet food, i think thats were maggiedemi is leading with her question. If she eats more dry than wet i would definitely up the wet food.

try a new large uncovered litter box. Maybe even a different brand of litter?

Do you know if you got new neighbors with new pets? sometime a new cat or dog next door can cause the problems. Does she seem more stressed?
My vet gave me steroids to give to her in January, I am not sure what he tested her for it's been so long I forgot what it was for though.

I can try to give her more wet

I will see if I can find a bigger box for her, she never liked the covered one from a few years back so it was tossed. I've changed her litter to the clumping and scent free kind and that worked for a few days.

The only changes there has been is there's new people in the complex acrossed the sidewalk from us, and they moved in after she started. There's been no new strays and she always been fine with the two or three that have been around here also.

Thank you for the information!

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My vet gave me steroids to give to her in January, I am not sure what he tested her for it's been so long I forgot what it was for though.

I can try to give her more wet

I will see if I can find a bigger box for her, she never liked the covered one from a few years back so it was tossed. I've changed her litter to the clumping and scent free kind and that worked for a few days.

The only changes there has been is there's new people in the complex acrossed the sidewalk from us, and they moved in after she started. There's been no new strays and she always been fine with the two or three that have been around here also.

Thank you for the information!

Sounds like you are going to make some positive changes! Good for you and her. If you are not sure if she has been tested for a Urinary infection since this started then that the first thing i would set up, a good wellness check.

Emmiismycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sounds like you are going to make some positive changes! Good for you and her. If you are not sure if she has been tested for a Urinary infection since this started then that the first thing i would set up, a good wellness check.
I have been talking to another vet and she's going to work with my current vet to see if she can help.

Thank you!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Sorry your Emmi suddenly started having litter box avoidance issues. :(

Did anything at all happen around the time this started? New work hours? New people around? New furniture? New cleaning products? Anything that might have stressed her out?

How many litter boxes do you have? Sometimes cats like to pee in one and poop in another.

I'll post links to some TCS articles that might be helpful. Good luck. :crossfingers:

How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet

Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

Combat Cat Urine
How To Remove Cat Urine Odor From Your Home

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats